João Gilberto RIP

JSngry

RIP, Joao. 

Gary Burton's autobiography has some funny stories about working with Getz and Joao in the 60's. They were performing at Carnegie Hall, and Joao was afraid of walking in the streets of NYC for some reason, and they had to rent him a room that was right next to Carnegie Hall. Then they had to rent a limousine or something to drive him ONE BLOCK to the stage door, and rush him in!

Wow, hadn't heard about this. But my three favourite Gilberto albums are his first three: Chega de Saudade, O amor o sorriso e a flor and Joao Gilberto (1961). They were recorded for EMI Odeon and sometime in the early nineties were released together by EMI in a double CD, called something with Joao Gilberto (I don't remember the exact title right now).

50 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

Wow, hadn't heard about this. But my three favourite Gilberto albums are his first three: Chega de Saudade, O amor o sorriso e a flor and Joao Gilberto (1961). They were recorded for EMI Odeon and sometime in the early nineties were released together by EMI in a double CD, called something with Joao Gilberto (I don't remember the exact title right now).

They all fit on a single CD!  I have it.  Three LPs plus an EP.  All songs clock in at 1:41 each!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

On ‎06‎.‎07‎.‎2019 at 0:22 AM, Ted O'Reilly said:

Sure, mostly we'll be taking Getz/Gilberto off the shelf, but also look for Elis and Tom, Gilberto with the wonderful Elis Regina.  Especially  Águas de Março....

That would be Tom Jobim, right?

My go-to album of Gilberto's so far has been this:

41ljVG2TwKL.jpg

It's from the early seventies and holds about 50 minutes of wonderfully subdued Music.

11 hours ago, king ubu said:

My go-to album of Gilberto's so far has been this:

41ljVG2TwKL.jpg

Yes this one is also called Joao Gilberto aka Aguas de marco and I think is from 73.

17 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

61V9fS2w1eL.jpg

Yes that's the one I was referring to. The Legendary Joao Gilberto. And my favourite tracks would be O pato (the duck) and Bolinha de papel (paperball) from his second and third album, respectively. And Dave, the second album you mentioned is the same as the first, only from a different (Spanish, from the Freshsound family :mellow:) label.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:22 PM, Ted O'Reilly said:

Sure, mostly we'll be taking Getz/Gilberto off the shelf, but also look for Elis and Tom, Gilberto with the wonderful Elis Regina.  Especially  Águas de Março....

Here's a lovely live version:

Is Joao Gilberto on Elis and Tom?   I was not aware of that.   BTW- Gilberto's death is such a huge loss....what a contribution he made.

An aside, at a memorial concert  for Jobim in NYC, I saw Joao and Astrud perform together....I think it was the first time in decades.   Wonderful concert.

3 hours ago, Balladeer said:

Marc Fischer: "Hobalala – Auf der Suche nach Joao Gilberto“

Will have to check that! And, by the way, I forgot to mention in my earlier posts what a big loss this is. I have always liked and admired Gilberto. Even his daughter Bebel was great in her early 2000s heyday.

On 7/8/2019 at 0:58 PM, Bluesnik said:

Yes that's the one I was referring to. The Legendary Joao Gilberto. And my favourite tracks would be O pato (the duck) and Bolinha de papel (paperball) from his second and third album, respectively. And Dave, the second album you mentioned is the same as the first, only from a different (Spanish, from the Freshsound family :mellow:) label.

I have both. The second one has the tracks from the three albums it covers in their original running order. The Legendary does not - they are inexplicably reordered. I've read that this change pissed Gilberto off, which is cited as one of the reasons World Pacific didn't reissue the CD once supplies of the original pressing dried up. Also, digital reverb which was not present on the original LPs was supposedly added as well, but I've never had the opportunity to hear the original LPs, so I can't say with any certainty whether that's the case.