Hat Compilations of Marion Brown and Albert Ayler

David Ayers

So the curiously titled releases from these two artists look like being compilations...? You tell me...

https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/products/8650240--marion-brown-1965-1966-with-alan-shorter-capricorn-moon-to-juba-lee

Here, then, is the early work of two men who in most important regards overturned the conventional image of the jazz musician as hard-drinking, drug-using, spontaneous rather than measured, inclined to elevate ideas over feeling, hedonistic rather than altruistic, wreckers of civilisation (whatever exactly that is) rather than natural builders. We’re deeply guilty, all of us, of perpetuating this myth, which is why Marion Brown and Alan Shorter are such precious as well as tutelary figures in our music. They speak to and from a sensibility that is able to absorb ideas without becoming fixated on them, that studies and uses classical technique without becoming imprisoned by it or making a fetish of it. Brian Morton

Contents

Capricorn Moon

Mephistopheles

Juba Lee

Iditus

https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/products/8650238--albert-ayler-quartets-1964-spirits-to-saints

The mystery of Albert Ayler’s musical legacy – as much as that of his still-unexplained death in 1970 – remains today, more than 54 years after these explosive, enigmatic studio recordings were made in early and late 1964, a source of conjecture and controversy. Primarily because his stunningly powerful projection, unorthodox technique, and unique vision resisted the typical methods of description and analysis, critics and scholars have sought to illuminate or, on the other hand, discredit Ayler’s extraordinarily original creations largely through speculation and metaphor. Art Lange

Contents

Spirits

Prophecy (misstitled Saints)

Holy, Holy

Witches And Devils

Ghosts

Mothers

Vibrations

Holy Spirit

Ghosts (short version)

Children

In the case of the Marion Brown, looks like you get the Marion Brown Quartet album except for one short cut, and half of the Juba-Lee album.  When will companies learn that people like us buy full albums, not cuts from albums?  And who else would be a market for this?  Assume the Ayler takes the same approach, but didn't bother to research.

Agreed on crappy format. If not bootlegs, I would consider the Brown if there are compelling price reasons (don't own the original albums, which I suspect are expensive). Perhaps also the Ayler, but like felser I haven't investigated content. If bootlegs, no interest.

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, relyles said:

I don't know how to determine a "viable CD release", or whether they would be considered bootlegs, but Juba-Lee was part of the Cool Music reissues a couple of years ago.

I say viable because those were available only overseas for a few months and now list well over $100 when they even turn up. 

edit: which is of course egregious because they’re stone bootlegs anyhow 

Edited by colinmce

58 minutes ago, colinmce said:

I say viable because those were available only overseas for a few months and now list well over $100 when they even turn up. 

WTF!! I picked all 6 of those up at the time - have you seen the prices they are asking on discogs & mere boots to boot

Edited by romualdo

15 hours ago, romualdo said:

Looks like the Ayler one will be the complete two Debut (Danish) LPs "Witches & Devils" & "Ghosts" which were released in the US/UK on Arista/Freedom as "Witches & Devils" & "Vibrations" respectively

Thanks for working that out. I have those (important!) LPs but don't recall what their CD history has been. Maybe this one at least is no bad thing even if the Brown, uh, could be different...

17 hours ago, colinmce said:

Thanks for the clarification. Glad I picked them up when they were available.

20 hours ago, David Ayers said:

AND, not on the Hat website yet, Mengelberg’s Two Days in Chicago is being reissued. 

https://www.prestomusic.com/jazz/products/8651481--two-days-in-chicago

This is a reissue by Outhere, the owner of the Hat Hut back catalog.

And this disc is very much so-so.  

71w6u0emy2L._SL1200_.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

• 4 weeks later...