Two Americans gored and hospitalized after Pamplona bull run

Two Americans gored and hospitalized after Pamplona bull run

Two Americans were gored in Pamplona, Spain, on Sunday during the annual Running of the Bulls festival — one of whom is now fighting for his life.

A 46-year-old man from San Francisco is in grave condition after being gored in the neck by a bull, according to local authorities.

The other American victim is a 23 year-old man from Kentucky. He's recovering from an injury deemed “less serious,” after a bull’s horn pieced his thigh, according to authorities

Every year, Pamplona holds its annual event, famous for scenes of people sprinting through the city’s ancient streets chased by bulls.

Two days into the festival, officials were already reporting injuries. On Sunday, Spanish authorities announced six people had been taken to a local hospital after the bull run, including the two Americans.

AR-BULL-11-R.png

Edited by sonnymax

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_of_the_bulls

"Overall, since record-keeping began in 1910, 15 people have been killed in the bull running of Pamplona, most of them due to being gored."

Year Name Age Origin Location Cause of death
1924 Esteban Domeño 22 Navarre, Spain Telefónica Goring[15]
1927 Santiago Zufía 34 Navarre, Spain Bullring Goring[15]
1935 Gonzalo Bustinduy 29 San Luis Potosí, Mexico Bullring Goring[15]
1947 Casimiro Heredia 37 Navarre, Spain Estafeta Goring[15]
1947 Julián Zabalza 23 Navarre, Spain Bullring Goring[15]
1961 Vicente Urrizola 32 Navarre, Spain Santo Domingo Goring[15]
1969 Hilario Pardo 45 Navarre, Spain Santo Domingo Goring[15]
1974 Juan Ignacio Eraso 18 Navarre, Spain Telefónica Goring[15]
1975 Gregorio Gorriz 41 Navarre, Spain Bullring Goring[15]
1977 José Joaquín Esparza 17 Navarre, Spain Bullring Suffocated in a pile-up.[7]
1980 José Antonio Sánchez 26 Navarre, Spain Town Hall Square Goring[15]
1980 Vicente Risco 29 Badajoz, Spain Bullring hit[15]
1995 Matthew Peter Tassio 22 Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA Town Hall Square Goring[16]
2003 Fermín Etxeberria 62 Navarre, Spain Mercaderes Hit by a horn[17]
2009 Daniel Jimeno Romero 27 Alcalá de Henares, Spain Telefónica Goring[18][19]

Several Spaniards were also gored. 

The Death Of Manolete by Bartleby Conrad is a good read, for those who may be interested. 

My parents were friends who people who knew bullfighters, who had given them souvenirs of their fights, like an ear or a tail. 

It always strikes me as odd when people voluntarily risk their lives for something as dumb as this - running with bulls? Why? As a matter of principal, I tend to avoid things that could result in death. I don't swim with piranhas or alligators. I don't run through lightning storms with a metal rod in my hand. Generally, I avoid things where one of the possible outcomes is "death" and this is from someone who drives in Boston rush hour traffic on a daily basis so I know of what I speak. I avoid death nearly every day.

59 minutes ago, bresna said:

It always strikes me as odd when people voluntarily risk their lives for something as dumb as this - running with bulls? Why? As a matter of principal, I tend to avoid things that could result in death. I don't swim with piranhas or alligators. I don't run through lightning storms with a metal rod in my hand. Generally, I avoid things where one of the possible outcomes is "death" and this is from someone who drives in Boston rush hour traffic on a daily basis so I know of what I speak. I avoid death nearly every day.

Blame it on Hemingway. 

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Generally, I avoid things where one of the possible outcomes is "death" and this is from someone who drives in Boston rush hour traffic on a daily basis so I know of what I speak. I avoid death nearly every day.

How do you figure?

Boston consistently has the worst traffic* I've experienced over the years. And I lived and drove in NYC for over a decade. 

*Traffic here indicates very slow. Unless you mean having a heart attack and the paramedics not being able to get to you , how are you u risking your life?

Humans have agency and choose to take part. If they are badly injured or die then that's part of the risk assessment they should have made. The bulls however have no choice but are put in an unnatural and probably frightening environment and react accordingly. 

My sympathy is with the animals that are exploited for human "entertainment".

38 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Humans have agency and choose to take part. If they are badly injured or die then that's part of the risk assessment they should have made. The bulls however have no choice but are put in an unnatural and probably frightening environment and react accordingly. 

My sympathy is with the animals that are exploited for human "entertainment".

I think it’s a spectacle — I wouldn’t call it a sport — that has outlived its usefulness. However, to a certain extent the Spanish laws limiting it have become bound up in politics. 

15 hours ago, Dmitry said:

How do you figure?

Boston consistently has the worst traffic* I've experienced over the years. And I lived and drove in NYC for over a decade. 

*Traffic here indicates very slow. Unless you mean having a heart attack and the paramedics not being able to get to you , how are you u risking your life?

Boston rush hour traffic is thick but not slow at all. Brakes here and there but usually you can cruise along nicely. What threatens my life on a regular basis is the distracted driving, usually texting while driving, that has become a huge problem. I've witnessed these idiots (who probably think running with the bulls would be fun) driving down the road with both hands and both eyes glued to their cell phone screen. It's why I gave up my motorcycle.

5 hours ago, bresna said:

Boston rush hour traffic is thick but not slow at all. Brakes here and there but usually you can cruise along nicely. What threatens my life on a regular basis is the distracted driving, usually texting while driving, that has become a huge problem. I've witnessed these idiots (who probably think running with the bulls would be fun) driving down the road with both hands and both eyes glued to their cell phone screen. It's why I gave up my motorcycle.

I don't know what's not slow about it. It takes me 1 hr. to get to Boston and 2 hrs. to get back sometimes. 

There were 10 automobile-related deaths in Boston last year. As bad as it sounds, it's not a lot So you are safe!