Dean Benedetti‘s disc cutter.

Hardbopjazz

I have listened again to this one, which is one of my favourite Albums. Actually the first time I had a taste of it was in the 70´s when there was a sampler on CBS "Miles Davis Greatest Hits" wich had two tunes from that Album: My Funny Valentine and the Ultra fast Version of "All Blues". 

And Right now while I read this I remember I actually saw all members of the second Miles Davis quintet live , each of them with their own later Groups: Miles anyway on several occasions, George Coleman , the short "replacement" Sam Rivers, Wayne Shorter of Course, Herbie, Ron, Tony, and the unit as VSOP . 

Unbenannt.png

Well, I get it. . . magnetism. Made sense to have some metal moving for that purpose, and wire was a good way to do that. It was the next step to have metallic particles on tape. . . but I get that magnetism was the way into the process.

Well, that's the way things develop. Wire was something known, something to work with. It sure sounded better than lacquer discs. And then a further development. .. magnetic tape. But they didn't get to the tape before using the wire and discovering its limitations.

Now there's. . . digital. . . a whole other ballgame.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:30 PM, Ed Swinnich said:

Interesting video on wire recorders:

Retro Tech - Recording on Wire

I worked at a radio station in the early '60s that dumped old equipment in the basement.  Rummaging around one day I saw a wire recorder, and a metal cabinet dedicated to the complete Lang-Worth transcription library, each disc carefully put away, and likely played but once.  I should have stolen the whole damn thing...