Bird’s last gig

Hardbopjazz

16 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

March 5th, 1955. Birdland. A week later he would be gone.  

0-ED184-DA-CE36-44-A5-91-B5-E93-AC2-FFB4

He didn't look too good. 

Peter Ind said that his last gig would've been a two alto gig with Lee Konitz at George Wein's Storyville club. Wein wanted to present the two leading altoists together in a quintet.

When Bird didn't show up, Ind thought that Bird didn't want to play with them, but then they found out that Bird had died. Ind said he found out years later that Bird's virtually last words were, "I've got to get to that gig, man".

37 minutes ago, sgcim said:

He didn't look too good. 

Peter Ind said that his last gig would've been a two alto gig with Lee Konitz at George Wein's Storyville club. Wein wanted to present the two leading altoists together in a quintet.

When Bird didn't show up, Ind thought that Bird didn't want to play with them, but then they found out that Bird had died. Ind said he found out years later that Bird's virtually last words were, "I've got to get to that gig, man".

What a sad sad story. 

This photo and some others from the same night are in the photo and memorablia book "To Bird with Love", done by Francis Paudras and Chan Richardson, Parker´s "widow". 

Sure I have that book ! 

On the other photos you also see the other musicians involved: Bud, Kenny Dorham, Charles Mingus, Art Blakey. Too bad it was not recorded. I have read somewhere that at least the first night was okay, only on the second night it became a fiasco. 

But still I have read About so many fiascos and if you listen to it it sounds great now…… like "Mingus´ Town Hall Concert". You can listen now to it and say you enjoy it. 

One Special photo from that night Shows Bird while he bends over the piano to say something to Bud. 

Yes, Bird Looks bloated on this, too much booze. I saw photos of Bud from  About a few months before he died, same Thing, bloated by too much alcool. Those are the famous Raymond Ross photos……..