Omnivore to release the complete Art Pepper Artist House recordings

soulpope

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Couple of new tunes, mostly alternates. 

Im tempted by this at the price but I’m put off by the shipping, duty and post office fees. Hm. 

Looks like Amazon plans to carry it.  Already listed for pre-order in USA, and article below says that is coming for Amazon.co.uk

https://theseconddisc.com/2019/07/straight-no-chaser-omnivore-collects-art-peppers-complete-artists-house-sessions-on-new-box/

On 7/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, jlhoots said:

I think they were called XYZ. Mine came with a rather flimsy box. As I recall someone here printed copies of the personnel & contents. $15 American seems about right.

ZYX: https://www.discogs.com/Art-Pepper-The-Complete-Galaxy-Recordings/release/10052370

I remember getting this box around 2002-03, it was very cheap indeed. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 4:23 PM, Peter Friedman said:

No mention of the three Analogue Productions SACD's which includes some of the best material.

Analogue Productions 3012 - Art Pepper - The New York Album (Hank Jones, Ron Carter, Al foster)

Analogue Productions 3013 - Art Pepper - So In Love (George Cables, Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins)

Analogue Productions 3014 - The Intimate Art Pepper  (George Cables, Hank Jones, Charlie Haden, Ron Carter, Billy Higgins, ,Al Foster)

I have these SACDs and I think they sound great. I have no need to re-buy this material for some alternates.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Claude Schlouch said:

Unfortunately one take of Landscape issued on Analogue Productions is missing.Too bad!

The session shows only one take of "Landscape" :

Art Pepper, alto sax, clarinet; George Cables, piano; Charlie Haden, bass; Billy Higgins, drums.

Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, CA, May 25 & 26, 1979

Blues For Blanche (alternate take A)     Galaxy GXY-5148

Landscape    Galaxy 16GCD 1016-2

Stardust    Artists House AH 12; Galaxy 16GCD 1016-2

Donna Lee    Galaxy GXY-5148

Donna Lee (alternate take)    Galaxy 16GCD 1016-2

Blues For Blanche (alternate take B)-

Blues For Blanche    Artists House AH 12; Galaxy 16GCD 1016-2

So In Love-

Lover Man    Galaxy GXY-5154

Body And     SoulGalaxy GXY-5148

You Go To My Head-

Tin Tin Deo    Artists House (J) VDJ-2008; Galaxy 16GCD 1016-2

Stardust (alternate take)-

Anthropology    Galaxy GXY-5148

In A Mellotone    Artists House (J) VDJ-2008; Galaxy 16GCD 1016-2

Desafinado    Galaxy GXY-5148

My Friend John (alternate take)    Artists House (J) VDJ-2008; Galaxy 16GCD 1016-2

Could the take released on Analogue Productions (don`t have it though) be a shortened/edited version of the 9.28 take released on the Complete Galaxy Box and now on Omnivore .... ?

1 minute ago, sonnymax said:

Why on earth would they do that? It's not like APO or Steve Hoffman do a half-ass job on any project.

So you have both the Analogue Productions and the Galaxy Box/Omnivore Complete Set, checked my potential explanation and can therefore confirm I am wrong? Let me know ....

9 minutes ago, Claude Schlouch said:

The Galaxy box set contains only 26 titles including “A Night In Tunisia” repeated. These are not two different versions, but 2 mixes with the same Art Pepper interpretation.

I hope that the attached chart will help you.

Good luck!

ART PEPPER ON OMNIVORE BOX SET.docx

Hadn't checked on this thread in awhile... so half the material in the new Omnivore set does *not* appear on the Galaxy box?  I might have to get this after all, in that case.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7.10.2019 at 6:41 PM, ghost of miles said:

Hadn't checked on this thread in awhile... so half the material in the new Omnivore set does *not* appear on the Galaxy box?  I might have to get this after all, in that case.

Just did so, with that line of reasoning ... it's a nicely made set, and Laurie has written her usual entertaining new liner notes (i.e. how Ron Carter would read the newspaper while Pepper was recording his extended solo intro to a tune, guess that's respect NYC style :tdown)