Hank Mobley at the NorthSea Jazz Festival. 1977.

Hardbopjazz

Quite often I run across concerts fir each year of the NorthSea jazz festival that we’re recorded for radio. This leads me to deduct that all of these concerts are recorded and exist in some vault. This gives me hope that there’s some unheard Mobley waiting in the wings. 

Anyone here ever heard this Hank Mobley concert   

36-D9-C6-FE-F6-DC-43-A0-AD3-D-99-FDE8945

I have read many stories that Hank wasn't very reliable later in his career and looking at this: https://www.northseajazz.com/en/program/1978/friday-14-july/timetable/ it does not appear as if he made it. Even if he was one of the "surprise guests" on Sunday, he would not have been on the main stage, which would probably be where they made their recordings.

I saw Mombasa perform every year as long as they existed - in 1977 Doug Lucas still was the trumpet player. Next was a guy whose name I didn't recognize - there's only a "?" in my notes. Next was Ambrose Jackson, and after him, Carmell Jones.

Edited by mikeweil

Lou Blackburn and Carmell Jones were old friends from their California days and both living Berlin at the time. I guess Jones' job in the Berlin Radio orchestra kept him from touring with Mombasa any earlier.

I remember Tom Nicholas confirming Mombasa having plenty of gigs - Blackburn's wife was their agent, and kept them on the road - "sometimes too much", as I recall Tom*s words.

• 6 months later...
On 17.7.2019 at 7:33 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Wonder if that version of Mombasa had Carmell Jones in the group?

I'm guessing not, as the only Mombasa record that Jones is on, is from 1980 (here).

In the late 1970ies we had a private concert with Lou Blackburn & I think Carmel Jones. I have some snapshots from that event (unjforunately without flashlight which was not allowed within the club) but I am certain these two were in that group. Cant remember the name but could have been Mombasa.

I remember Mombasa went quite well , I think Lou Blackburn also had a booking at Jazzland in Viena, but I don´t know what they have to do with Hank Mobley, who obviously was at one ore two occasions scheduled for North Sea but didn´t make it. 

I think the last recorded Mobley was with Tete Montoliu, and there was a you tube of one tune at Angry Squire where he really had difficulties to Play, it was a mircacle that he even tried to do it, sad to listen but I admire him that with that terrible  health he even tried to play a gig. Such a tragedy….