Frank Trumbauer

Hardbopjazz

The JSP covers 1924-1929, so there will be about a disc's worth of overlap with the Chrono. (There is only one session from 1924, so it really covers 1927-1929.) The JSP was remastered by John R. T. Davies, so you can get your jolly cranking up your tube amp and bemoan the state of reverb today, or something.

I did not get the JSP, but I did get the Okeh & Brunswick Bix, Tram, and T Mosaic set. The JSP is entirely contained within that set, so you won't want both. The Mosaic has about twice as many tracks as the JSP, and extends to 1936. There are one or two extra alternate takes, but the second half is largely made up of Bix-less Trumbauer. There's about one disc's worth of Teagarden, some of which has Trumbauer, too. The end of the Mosaic will overlap with your 1936-1946 Chrono.

I don't own or know much about the 1937-1940 recordings. The last session, done for Capitol in 1946, is lovely, but you already have it.

If you're purely looking for the Bix stuff, you're probably best off getting the Bix Restored series, since you'll end up getting it in the end anyway.

If money is no object, get the Mosaic. (If money is no object, why would you be asking here? Go buy everything!)

If you want to avoid overlap, don't fear CD-Rs and other such Magicks most Evile, then get yourself the missing CCs. I don't know how hard they're to hunt down these days.

If you are of the less geriatric sort and can stomach MP3s, Amazon appears to have a whole bunch, some quite cheap.

I see no point in bothering with the tenor in C. Transposition is dead easy, and the tenor in Bb is not the slightest problem. As far as the sound goes, as my saxophone mentor put it, the C instrument is "neither one nor the other".

It has to be admitted that the Bb tenor has the finest and most versatile saxophone sound. There is a reason why the saxophone family settled quickly into the ones in Eb and Bb.

Why bother with the C tenor or soprano, or the rare F alto (marketed briefly by Conn as a "mezzo-soprano")?