Artist of the Week?

Hey Folks,

What do you all think of the idea of having an "Artist of the Week" thread? While the "Album of the Week" has been great, I think some general comments about underplayed artists might not hurt either.

Any thoughts?

I think this would be a good idea, but I'd rather suggest a monthly (or maybe bi-weekly) proceeding.

It's been hard for a lot of us to follow the AotW steadily, and now with the BFT bringing a constant involvement (which is cool, but it does need time - I have not even listened to one track of BFT#8 so far! Apologies!), a weekly artist thing might just be too much.

Then what would speak against it is that we do have threads on lots of artists (mostly in the artists section, also in the recommendations), and it would get a bit annoying I think to have two discussions on basically the same, no?

Or we would just do it as a pinned thread inside the artists section, and after the week of month or whatever is gone, the next (new or already existing) thread gets pinned. This would be a solution to double things up, but it would need constant involvement from the moderators, too.

I think I would participate sometimes, and sometimes just let it pass (as with the AotW).

ubu

I don't know if an Artist of the Week is necessary. Frankly, I think that people should just start threads about artists they like/underappreciated artists whenever the mood strikes.

If I want to start a discussion of Gene Harris, I have to wait til its my turn? That's kind of silly. I think the purpose of the Artists forum is just this sort of discussion which ought to be free-wheeling and totally ad hoc.

In my opinion, of course.

If I want to start a discussion of Gene Harris, I have to wait til its my turn?  That's kind of silly.

The same applies to the album of the week.

Yes, but I would venture a guess that familiarity with artists is generally far greater than familiarity with specific recordings. So, starting a Gene Harris thread might get more responses than starting a Gene Harris, Nature's Way thread. So, for a decent level of participation, Albums of the Week have to be at least somewhat well known, while most people have at least heard names.