Jazz Generated by an AI Neural Network

DADABOTS says it (almost) all ... :P

Interesting experiment, but I will be impressed if they listen to a major Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong or Count Basie etc. recording 16 times in a row and go on in a meaningful way from THERE that truly SWINGS and doesn't just replicate like a mechanical piano does ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 21/07/2019 at 4:31 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

Interesting experiment, but I will be impressed if they listen to a major Duke Ellington or Louis Armstrong or Count Basie etc. recording 16 times in a row and go on in a meaningful way from THERE that truly SWINGS and doesn't just replicate like a mechanical piano does ... ;)

I tried parsing this sixteen different ways, and I can make heads nor tails of it. What are you trying to say? That one cannot artificially create something that swings? (I disagree.) That DE/CB/LA are impossible? (Again, I disagree.) Something else? (I assume...?)

Don't give up - try another 16 ...^_^

Or to put it more directly, I am unimpressed by an AI "machine" dissecting and reconstructing a Coltranesque cascade of "free" notes into something just as free. I will be impressed if that "machine" turns out something NEW (i.e. not a replay of something existing) that would fool Ellingtonites (for example) in a BFT.
Just my personal opinion.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

On 22/07/2019 at 9:20 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

Don't give up - try another 16 ...^_^

Or to put it more directly, I am unimpressed by an AI "machine" dissecting and reconstructing a Coltranesque cascade of "free" notes into something just as free. I will be impressed if that "machine" turns out something NEW (i.e. not a replay of something existing) that would fool Ellingtonites (for example) in a BFT.
Just my personal opinion.

Ah, gotcha. I agree that would be far more interesting, but I don't think we're far off from being able to do it. There's been a fair bit of research in this field. Bachbot made headlines several times and is probably the best known such effort:

https://bachbot.com

Baroque music lends itself particularly well to this sort of thing, but an AI cranking out a fake Basie head arrangement is absolutely in the realm of the possible today. Playing it is another matter and I agree that's still a ways away. (My predictions are garbage, though, because I would have bet against computers beating the best humans at go before 2020.)

On July 20, 2019 at 4:50 PM, JSngry said:

Humans are only "special" until we figure out how they work, at which point they become replicable, and therefore disposable.

EXACTLY.  And anyone who doubts this kind of stuff should check out the NPR Radiolab piece in which a computer composes a Bach mass, after having analyzed every existing Bach piece.  The resulting music is simply stunning.