Collections

mrjazzman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/31/2019 at 1:47 AM, sidewinder said:

The Herbie Hancock was one of those multi-coloured ones which were compilation samplers. There were similar ones for Thad/Mel, Dexter and Stanley Turrentine ( I think). Never bothered with those as I had all the material on other issues.

Those were from much earlier.  The one which had unique material was the Jones-Lewis.

5 hours ago, sambrasa said:

Currently probably this one:

1.jpg

There were only 500 pressed and I think it's kind of rare by now, some 45 years later. Maybe some recent release I've got among something 6000 CDs and 1000 LPs I've got is more rare, so to say, but pressings nowadays are more scarce anyways so they don't count.

That is a GREAT album.  I don't own it, but have heard it online.

13 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

There but for the grace of God go each of us. 

19 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I especially valued the Horace Silver Trio album in the brown bag series. It seemed like it was a while before I could get those sessions on cd.

Yes! I cherished that one, too. The first half was on the early Trio LP, and I made my own CDR of all the later trio tracks. I think Blue Note should have done that.

R-2002591-1483463916-1732.jpeg.jpg

The official title of that brown paper bag look series can be clearly seen here.

Edited by mikeweil

I remember those "Brown Bag" BN twofers friom "way back" too but at the time they were fairly pricy in the record shops so I passed them up. I did not really buy them until several years later when they came up secondhand (mostly during my visits to the UK, and quite a handful of those found in the UK were indeed cutouts, though that did not really reduce the price too much with the pro sellers ;)).

What I found to be much rarer (can't recall having seen them in the shops here when they were new - what you did see were the 2-LP sets) were the SINGLE-LP reissues from the "Blue Note Re-Issue Series". Much later I bought e.g. Bill Perkins' "Tenors Head-On" and Warner Marsh's "Jazz of Two Cities" (both of which of course had zero to do with BN).

Yes, that’s right - I don’t recall ever seeing those single LPs from the series until much later as second hand items. Don’t recall ever seeing them even in the likes of Mole.

That is also true that the earlier ‘Brown Bag’ issues could usually be found as corner cutouts for £2.99 at the likes of Our Price. There were tons of US cutouts available in the UK in that era and I have heard a story that deleted US LPs in bulk were used as ballast in some of the ships from NYC. Not sure just how credible that story is but I would like to believe it. :D

The single "brown bag" things were French-only, iirc.

At the end of the brown bags, there were four issues of the same type that had the same basic design, but glossy paper and different colors. It was the short-lived "Blue Note Jazz Classic Series". and that was it for the 2-Fers.

Look at them now!

jackie-mclean-hipnosis-vinyl-record-lp.j

s-l1600.jpg

Art_Blakey_Live_Messengers_UA_Blue_Note_

829c778b16688f0a21c9abbaf4a80788.jpg

After tem, the LTs!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I don't recall that? But the Turrnetine from that first series had some yet-unissued stuff with Duke Pearson arrangements.

I sort of remember that about the Turrentine, but didn't pay attention to that one during the day.  The Jones-Lewis had stuff that didn't make it out until the Mosaic, from what I remember.  

Edited by felser

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

We are remembering different things, maybe? I know that some of those LRC labels let out some different takes/edits of some live stuff, but the BN Reissue Series was all straight-up reissue...unless I am misremembering (ALWAYS a possibility...)

R-3056357-1408904592-6051.jpeg.jpg

No, I suspect you have it right, and I probably confused the Jones-Lewis with the Turrentine.  I never owned either of them, or anything else in that series.   Somebody with the Jones-Lewis Mosaic box could confirm (I have owned it twice, but sold it back off both times).

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

The single "brown bag" things were French-only, iirc.

Correct, as I look at the "fine print" now (I hadn't paid attention to that detail).
In fact I bought the Warne Marsh at a small shop across the street from Crocojazz in Paris, and ...

@sidewinder:

... the Bill Perkins actually was found (secondhand) in the UK - Out on the Floor Records in Camden Town.

Those French 'brown bag' single LPs came from the local distributors of the United Artists label which also handled BN at the time (late 70s). Among the BN records they released were Lee Morgan 'Candy', Erroll Garner 'Overture to Dawn'', Tal Farlow "Early Tal'.

UA LPS included Duke's 'Money Jungle', Joe Pass 'For Django', Booker Little with Max Roach, Zoot and Al 'Jazz Alive', Warne Marsh 'Jazz of 2 Cities'  Bill Perkins with Richie Kamuca, among others.

Edited by brownie
Missing item

OK, I definitely had a few of those Blue Note twofers (or brown bags), though not as many as the Prestige.  The best one featured Randy Weston's Little Niles, the live set with Hawkins and Dorham, and some other stuff.  By that time I had been seriously collecting Weston on CD for years, and I always wanted to hear Little Niles (given the reputation), on CD, vinyl, anything.  Absolutely a great record.

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

OK, I definitely had a few of those Blue Note twofers (or brown bags), though not as many as the Prestige.  The best one featured Randy Weston's Little Niles, the live set with Hawkins and Dorham, and some other stuff.  By that time I had been seriously collecting Weston on CD for years, and I always wanted to hear Little Niles (given the reputation), on CD, vinyl, anything.  Absolutely a great record.

There were a lot more of the Prestige twofers than the Blue Note twofers.  I loved the McLean "Jacknife" session, which had never been released before.  Awesome recording of "On The Nile"/

On 8/2/2019 at 9:33 PM, Captain Howdy said:

She should ditch this asshole.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:55 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

That guy's just faking. :P What he pointed at as being the R'n'R section clearly is where he pulled out the Illinois Jacquet "Swing's The Thing" LP on Verve at the begining of that clip. R'n'R?? When R&B (where this MIGHT have been filed) is a different section anyway? And Miles' KOB does not seem to be far away from that corner either. :g
Seriously, man ... you're an imposter ... :lol:

So WTF???

What movie is this?

• 2 months later...
  • Dear 'Jazz Friends' , here is my own Recording-L.P.'s jazz-collections. This is my ''home-video-spot'' and sorry for my Italian talkings. I say that my 'collections' is based mainly of..: Jazz Drummers (*quite) intere discography of..: Max Roach , Blakey , Buddy Rich , Bellson , and many other 'great-drummers'. There are also all the other main+great jazzmen..: Ellington , Davis , Coltrane , ect.. Well, I am trying to sell these records due to ..NOT.. at all interst of these.,: ''squared-balck-things'' by the rest of my family,.!.-
  •