Favorite Miles Davis Album

undergroundagent

I was just sitting here listening to some Miles for the first time in a few months, and his music never ceases to amaze me.

I was curious about some of your favorites.

My personal faves are: "In a Silent Way" & "Jack Johnson", though I can't knock the big three of the 50s either (KOB, Milestones & Round About Midnight). Genius!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I never really got into that record...sometimes there can be just too much Miles. I use to have over 50 discs by him, but I've cut it down to the six that I think are essential (those listed in my first post + "Bitches Brew").

All Miles is great though...one day I'll get back into the second Quintet.

I always had a major soft spot for 'Agharta'- to me, it seems like the music hits you like a runaway freight train at times, at others it glides softly. The way the band shifts on a dime between the two extremes always knocked me out.

But I do love 'In A Silent Way' 'KOB', etc. It's soooo hard to pick one...

This is hard, as there are so many excellent ones. I think I'll go for "In A Silent Way" (not because Tony M has just said so, though no disrespect intended, Tony). It just happens to be one that I've played more than any other, and it still sounds fresh, after over 30 years - I had the LP when it first came out.

What a shock it was to hear the "original" version of "Shhh, Peaceful" in the box set!

Various bootlegs.

Just curious, Jim, but are you saying that there is not a single "legit" Miles album that you like better than these bootlegs? Wow! Columbia (or someone) needs to get their hands on these!

He he.

I think it could also be construed as "the favorite mountain is the one that hasn't been climbed yet".

zen%20of%20no%20mind.gif