Favorite Miles Davis Album

undergroundagent

Various bootlegs.

Just curious, Jim, but are you saying that there is not a single "legit" Miles album that you like better than these bootlegs? Wow! Columbia (or someone) needs to get their hands on these!

Perhaps it's the "forbidden fruit" aspect of it, or maybe it's just that I like the "verite" approach and find the difference between what the various bands were doing live and in the studio (a difference that became more pronounced as the years went by), but yeah, that's essentially correct. Also a possible factor is that I pretty much committed all the "official" albums to memory. more or less, a long time ago, and the bootlegs are coming at me fresh.

But yeah, I love all the "usual suspects" as much as anybody.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a major fan of Miles and I like all of the afore mentioned like "Kind of Blue" and "Stella by Starlight" but I have to agree with one that was mentioned before and got a nasty smilie as a response. I really love "Filles de Killamanjaro". It is Miles at his barest and simplest. It also is a wonderful one that spotlights the genius of Tony Williams. Not the standard show-off riffs, but the intuitive musicianship.

In this case less IS more. I never tire of listening to that one and I get something different from it each time.

I bought "Bitches Brew" when it was first released and absolutely loved it. I loved the whole fusion concept and was also a big fan of Weather Report and even the early Mahavishnu Orchestra. Within the last decade, "Bitches Brew" has become less interesting to me and it has become one of my least favorite of Miles' oevre, and I am less interested in fusion, though I still like to listen to Weather Report if only to hear Wayne Shorter stepping "out there". Different strokes I guess.

I also love the late recordings of Miles in Germany that were made during his tour there in the late 80's.

The usual answer is one of the following: In A Silent Way, Nefertiti, My Funny Valentine...oh, a few more too.

But over the past year or so whenever I play Modern Jazz Giants I think it must be the most beautiful album ever recorded.

It might be easier to list your least favorite. Unless you're couw. :P

Various bootlegs.

Just curious, Jim, but are you saying that there is not a single "legit" Miles album that you like better than these bootlegs? Wow! Columbia (or someone) needs to get their hands on these!

He he.

I think it could also be construed as "the favorite mountain is the one that hasn't been climbed yet".

zen%20of%20no%20mind.gif

Absolutely, and add to that that I'm just now getting around to the Columbia Box Sets, and LOVING all the new material therein because it's SO different than all the "official" stuff that's part of the jazz subconscious by now, how do you NOT get stopped in your tracks by such revelatory material?

Same w/the boots (a few of which are of still-unreleased studio material, btw) - you hear a live date by the ON THE CORNER band that is TOTALLY in the pocket and kickass, and totally non-abstract, and you say to yourself, "Is there ANY studio album that sounds even remotely like this", and the answer is, of course - hell no. Or the whole Lost Quintet - that's a whole MAJOR chapter of Miles' career and evolution that's yet to be documented officially.

So yeah - I'm defintely preferring the unofficial stuff these days, not necessarily because it's "better" (although there are times when I think it is), but because, unlike some artists, whose live work is about the same as their studio work, only less self-conscious, with Miles you can enter a whole 'nother world, one that just doesn't exist (yet) on official releases.

How well I remember the impact that buying my first copy of MILES AHEAD: MILES DAVIS +19 had on me in 1958! ... I purchased the copy on an Saturday morning, carried it with me to a rugby test match all afternoon. I hurried home, put the record on the turntable, and was so blown away that I played it into the wee hours of Sunday morning. (My mother finally asked me to switch off the Hi-Fi and go to sleep at about 3 a.m.!) Given what had come before, this album was so totally different from anything else out there at the time. I still play this album very often ... those Gil Evans chords never fail to send a chill up my spine.

I can't emphasize enough how much this album needs to be judged within the context of what jazz sounded like in 1958 ... only Kenton's music came close, and I had not heard much of his more experimental stuff at that time. It was also only much later that I discovered the earlier Evans arrangements on the Jazz Workshop series which presaged the Miles album ("Blues for Pablo," in particular). So.. when the tone-arm hit MILES AHEAD on that fateful Saturday night, my world changed forever ...

Garth.

Not that it's necessarily my "favorite", but I keep coming back to ON THE CORNER. Seems like that's some sort of distillation of Miles' personal essence to be found there, although a distillation of personal essence sounds like something more suited to being found in certain theatres....

But over the past year or so whenever I play Modern Jazz Giants I think it must be the most beautiful album ever recorded.

Amen -- it is an incredible, incredible album. I think the only ones I like better are Filles de Kilimanjaro and Miles Smiles.

If we go beyond a top 3 to a top 10, other albums I really love are Kind of Blue, Milestones, the Plugged Nickel box, Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, Round About Midnight, and Cookin'.

Guy

• 1 year later...

The question is almost impossible for me to answer. I like so very many of Miles albums. However, my list of favorites would be the things recorded no later than February 1964.

A few of Miles albums that I would have on my list that I don't believe have been mentioned are:

Bags Groove- Prestige

Walkin' - Prestige

Miles Davis and The Modern Jazz Giants - Prestige

In Person Friday and Saturday Nights At The Black Hawk - Columbia

and of those mentioned:

Milestones - Columbia

Cookin' - Prestige

Relaxin' - Prestige

Four & More - Columbia

Birth Of The Cool - Columbia

and many more !!!!!!

Speaking of Workin' and Steamin', I'm really looking forward to the release in May of the First Quintet recordings in the order they were recorded.

I'm curious to see if I change my mind regarding any songs due to the different order of the songs as they are presented.

They're in recording order on the Chronicle boxed set and I much prefer them that way. The whole run has the ebb and flow of a gig sans audience. By comparison I find some of the sequencing of the original discs a little strange (Workin' in particular).

As to the question at hand- boy! My first response is to plump for KOB (I believe there's rarely been a more perfect summation of the art of jazz, not only in execution but in concept) but honestly, I could probably list about 20 albums, depending on what day I'm asked and what mood I'm in.

And, like Jim, I have a lot of bootleg recordings that offer up their own pleasures and fascinations alongside (and often in opposition to) their official counterparts. The astonishing thing is, given the volume and scope of Miles' work, there are large and significant parts of the story that are still being unearthed.

I've been listening to Miles (a lot) for 20+ years and the fascination has yet to wane.

Jim, yeah, On the Corner. . . I can still find new things to listen to in that one. I remember buying this when it came out and just getting lost, not really finding my way for a while. But it's such a powerful stew, it drew me in over and over and it's really rewarding to just let it wash around your listening room. I've got a late nineties Sony lp facimile that sounds like the lp mix to me . . . .

Can't say it's "my favorite" but it is a benchmark of my Miles recordings.

Hi all!

My favourite Miles Davis album is.........(drum roll).............MILESTONES!

It never lets me down. It's so fresh and vigorous and on its toes and more swingin' than Kind of Blue (which is excellent in its own way).

/Shaft

Someday My Prince Will Come

No doubt about it, my most listened to Miles album. This one doesn't get much love overall other than it being a "nice" album for most. But the rhythm section has always just pulled me in on SMPWC, Wynton in particular. This might be his career highlight imho. Also Hank and Coltrane on the title track. And when Miles' chair squeeks at just the right time on Old Folks. And give me Hank anytime....

Love it.

Edited by Soul Stream

Jim, yeah, On the Corner. . . I can still find new things to listen to in that one. I remember buying this when it came out and just getting lost, not really finding my way for a while. But it's such a powerful stew, it drew me in over and over and it's really rewarding to just let it wash around your listening room. I've got a late nineties Sony lp facimile that sounds like the lp mix to me . . . .

Can't say it's "my favorite" but it is a benchmark of my Miles recordings.

I like On the Corner quite a bit (more than any post-Bitches Brew studio album) even if it isn't one of my favorites. The concept would mature once Cosey and Lucas came in. McLaughlin has a great solo in there, but the other soloists leave something to be desired (also a problem with the In Concert album, IMHO). In the end this kind of music stands or falls on the strength of the rhythm section, and here it's brilliant. The first medley is stronger than the second medley.

One of Miles's most visionary albums.

Guy