Monk and Lacy

Hardbopjazz

52 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Didn't all beer in the 60s and 70s taste like shit? Like all bread and all coffee?

Well, kinda...All three commodities have become, thank goodness, more "artisanal" in recent decades.

Beer - can't speak to the '60s, but in the '70s various (mostly regional) beers were considerably less urinous than the American norm. On the national level, Michelob (a "premium" brand) was fairly tasty. Likewise IMO Stroh's (Michigan) and F X Matt (NY State, I think they still brew some prestigious names under contract). I'm sure others could cite examples from their regions. In the '70s, Coors (when regional to CO) was the "hippest" beer, often mentioned by rock stars, but I found it watery and never cared for it. Labatt's and Molson (Canada) were always worth paying up for relative to standard American crap.

Edited by T.D.

Great ! Monk with Lacy ! I would have liked to hear how that sounded. There are dozens of very very similar Monk recordings from the 60´s , they all fine but at least after very much listening they become a routine. 

I would have liked to hear how Monk sounds with a soprano sax, and above all with a more advanced jazzman as was Lacy. 

I knew about Lacy´s love for Monks tunes, but didn´t know he actually had played with Monk. A recording of this would be an exceptional thing. 

About the beer Monk drinks. I remember when I was a boy, let´s say around 1973 I also had to look what beer Miles Davis drank on his gig here in Vienna. When the concert was filmed on TV I saw it was the then existent austrian brand "Brau AG" and be sure I soon must try a "Brau AG" even if my favourite brand was "Gösser". But as a Miles freak, we all were Miles freaks, Miles was the leader, if he drank Brau AG, we had to follow..........:lol:

4 hours ago, T.D. said:

Well, kinda...All three commodities have become, thank goodness, more "artisanal" in recent decades.

Beer - can't speak to the '60s, but in the '70s various (mostly regional) beers were considerably less urinous than the American norm. On the national level, Michelob (a "premium" brand) was fairly tasty. Likewise IMO Stroh's (Michigan) and F X Matt (NY State, I think they still brew some prestigious names under contract). I'm sure others could cite examples from their regions. In the '70s, Coors (when regional to CO) was the "hippest" beer, often mentioned by rock stars, but I found it watery and never cared for it. Labatt's and Molson (Canada) were always worth paying up for relative to standard American crap.

Given how bad Molson/Labatt are/were, that is pretty scathing. Industrialised rubbish - although I did consume a reasonable quantity of it back in the day. Most of it is like ‘witch pee’. :D

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Great ! Monk with Lacy ! I would have liked to hear how that sounded. There are dozens of very very similar Monk recordings from the 60´s , they all fine but at least after very much listening they become a routine. 

I would have liked to hear how Monk sounds with a soprano sax, and above all with a more advanced jazzman as was Lacy. 

I knew about Lacy´s love for Monks tunes, but didn´t know he actually had played with Monk. A recording of this would be an exceptional thing. 

About the beer Monk drinks. I remember when I was a boy, let´s say around 1973 I also had to look what beer Miles Davis drank on his gig here in Vienna. When the concert was filmed on TV I saw it was the then existent austrian brand "Brau AG" and be sure I soon must try a "Brau AG" even if my favourite brand was "Gösser". But as a Miles freak, we all were Miles freaks, Miles was the leader, if he drank Brau AG, we had to follow..........:lol:

I thought I read that Miles was a fan of Heineken.

Edited by sidewinder

@sidewinder: I´ve also read About Miles drinkin Heineken, but this was many years before (1973 in Vienna) and Maybe "Heineken" was not available then in Austria, so Miles drank what they gave him. 

Anyway, I think the concert which was on austrian TV, later was produced as DVD. And at one Point you can see Miles drinking from the bottle, and it´s "Brau AG" . But what Counts most was the Music, it was the great band he had with Dave Liebman, and one of the Highlights was Dave on flute on "Ife"......

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Given how bad Molson/Labatt are/were, that is pretty scathing. Industrialised rubbish - although I did consume a reasonable quantity of it back in the day. Most of it is like ‘witch pee’. :D

The bar was set pretty low in the USA in '60s and '70s. I even remember trying the British import Watney's back in the mid-'70s and thinking it was good...years later I found that it had a nickname something like "piss" (forget the details). :D

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

The bar was set pretty low in the USA in '60s and '70s. I even remember trying the British import Watney's back in the mid-'70s and thinking it was good...years later I found that it had a nickname something like "piss" (forget the details). :D

I too use to drink Watney's. Thought it was a big step up to what was here in the states. 

1 hour ago, catesta said:

Lowenbrau was only bad when Miller changed things up. The original recipe makes for a good beer.

I remember from my contacts with U.S: soldiers on post here in the mid-80s there was one Master Sergeant whose tour of duty in Germany was about to end in a couple months time and he regretfully told me he had decided to stop drinking German beer ("Löwenbräu" - the GERMAN variety - was one he loved in particular) for his remaining time here because otherwise he'd be unable to adjust back to what he'd be served back home in the U.S. (and he pointed out that German "Löwenbräu" and U.S. "Lowenbrau" had nothing much in common except the name). I understand things have changed since but still ... :huh:

6 hours ago, T.D. said:

Watney’s Red Barrel - Party Pack 6, came in a tin. ;)  Beloved of a certain Monty Python sketch..

The euphemism, I guess, would be something to do with rats’ liquid waste.

Then in the early 1980s it was Hofmeister, an appalling Germanic brew which the Germans would disown immediately plus that Aussie rubbish  Castlemain-XXXX. Thankfully the cask real ale brews in pubs survived..

Not sure how we got here after Monk and Lacy..

Edited by sidewinder

I don't think there is any such thing.  There were just a few occasions when Lacy was in the band, which was a big band--or more accurately a mid-size band--and Lacy was not a soloist. A rather odd thing.

There have been a million records of Lacy playing Monk's music, sometimes solo versions.