Monk ordered some take out food.

Hardbopjazz

95a31f77b212d553240806b019fce50c.jpg

Probably a ‘Kapsalon’: a Dutch/Turkish specialty. Contains dönerkebab, Fries, cheese, salad and a whole lot of sauce. A normal portion contains about 1500 kcal which is about the complete amount a woman need for the whole day. But Monk was a big guy wasn’t he?

I have always wondered if the Kapsalon would be introduced in the States, would there be a Kapsalon Large, Kapsalon XL and a Kapsalon supersize that contains around the 5000 kcal or something like that.... you’d been having enough for the week.

Looks nice. 

The only association I have with Monk About his culinaric tastes was from on of the documentary films where you see Monk in the hotel room, and ordering meal from his bed to an obviously stressed Young Boy from the room Service.

Monk want´s to eat liver and they only have chicken liver. Monk asks "you don´t have regular liver?" but then orders chicken liver with smashed potatoes.

Not because Monk ordered it, but by coincidence, this is also one of my favourite dishes… chicken liver with smashed potatoes…..

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Bei uns heisst des "Kardoffelbrei" .....

:lol: Yeah, the different words for dishes , how you say it and we say it in Vienna is quite legendary.

Möhren-Karotten
Blumenkohl-Karfiol
Schorle - Spritzer
Hörnchen-Kipferl 

but it seems that the word "Kartoffelpüree" for mashed potatoes is more familiar in the eastern parts of Europe. In my second frequently spoken language (rumänisch) we also say "piure de cartofi" 

Edited by Gheorghe

Don't worry ... "Kartoffelpüree" is perfectly understandable even in Germany.

Same for "Möhren" & "Karotten" (both understandable too, but in fact down here in the South we call them "Gelberüben").
But "Paradeiser"??? Or "Zibeben"?? :D And as for "Spritzer", I was under the impression you call them "G'spritzter"?

Like UK and US English: Two countries divided by the same language. :g

You are Right: "Zibeben" isn´t even understandable for younger People in Austria. And as for "G´spritzer" , you too Right, but many many People in Vienna say "Spritzer". If you go to an "Heurigen" and say "einen weißen Spritzer" (einen weißen G´spritzten) it is very common speech and many People say it that way. 

Another example: we say "Fisolen" and Maybe in Germany you might say "Grüne Bohnen" , again "Fisolen" must be influenced by the romanian word "fasole" 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

@Big Beat Steve: Yeah "mashed" , I didn´t know exactly, the stuff we call "Kartoffelpüree" :lol:

When I was growing up mashed potatoes came out of a box.  But when I met my wife I discovered how much better they could be when properly made (what can I say Poles love their carbs or have you not had home-made pierogi?).

Anyway "Smashies" is the name around my house. 

My mom made them from scratch. Brenda does too, only better than Mom. And I don't say that lightly.

I'm a mashed potato snob, especially since I really don't like potatoes too much (with a dad of german heritage, he had to have them at EVERY meal. Mom was a product of south Louisiana, so she had to sneak the rice in on us, pick your spots - not spatz - . so come correct with 'em or leave 'em be.

9 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Monk want´s to eat liver and they only have chicken liver. Monk asks "you don´t have regular liver?" but then orders chicken liver with smashed potatoes.

"Regular liver?" :ph34r:

That's almost as good as when we take my 90+ yr old father out for a nice dinner, and he always asks the waiter about whether they have any "regular beer" on draft?  No joke either, he's deadly serious.  Despite my father being a second generation American of 100% German stock, what he's talkin' about is Bud, or Old Milwaukee, or Stag, or maybe a Pabst.  You know, "regular" beer.

Looks like a rehearsal for the Town Hall gig (that's Hall Overton standing by the door), in which case, start here:

Thelonious Monk — piano

Donald Byrd — trumpet

Eddie Bert — trombone

Robert Northern — French horn

Jay McAllister — tuba

Phil Woods — alto saxophone

Charlie Rouse — tenor saxophone

Pepper Adams — baritone saxophone

Sam Jones — bass

Art Taylor — drums

RLP12-300_f.jpg

Don't think it's an exact match, but there are plenty overlaps.

Here's Hall, y'all:

overton2.jpg