Columbia Modern Music Series - Have These Been Bundled?

JSngry

https://www.discogs.com/label/332676-Modern-American-Music-Series?sort=year&sort_order

Looks like a continuous run from 1953-1963, then the repackaging sets in. But things pick up again in 1974 and 1976.

Has there been any collective packaging of either run of this series, or both? That would be a package I would jump on all over itself!

• 2 weeks later...

The 53-36 run alone would be a killer set:

ML 4490 Charles Ives, William Masselos  - Piano Sonata No. 1

ML 4491 Virgil Thomson, Lou Harrison  - Modern American Music Series: Stabat Mater / Capital, Capitals / Suite For 'Cello And Harp / Suite No. 2 For String Quartet

ML-4492 Aaron Copland, Ellis Kohs   - Modern American Music Series

ML 4493 William Schuman - The Juilliard String Quartet* / Ingolf Dahl - String Quartet No. 4 / Concerto A Tre

ML 4494 Douglas Moore, David Oppenheim with The New Music String Quartet* / Wallingford Riegger - Quintet For Clarinet And Strings / String Quartet No. 2, Op. 432

ML 4495 Walter Piston / John Cage  - Sonatina For Violin And Piano / String Quartet In Four Parts

ML 4841 Henry Cowell / Harold Shapero - Sonata No. 1 For Violin And Piano / Sonata For Piano Four Hands ‎

ML 4842 Roy Harris, Robert Palmer  - Harris: Sonata (Violin, Piano) • Palmer: Quartet (Piano, Strings)

ML 4845 Paul Bowles / Norman Dello Joio  - Music For A Farce / Scenes D' Anabase / Variations And Capriccio

ML 4846 Arthur Berger (2), Edward Burlingame Hill, The Fairfield Wind Ensemble, New York Woodwind Quintet, Bernard Greenhouse, Anthony Makas - Berger: Woodwind Quartet (1941); Duo / E.B. Hill: Sextet For Woodwinds, Piano

ML 4987 Virgil Thomson / William Schuman, Juilliard String Quartet, Beveridge Webster - Quartet No. 2 / Voyage

ML 4989 Vincent Persichetti / Paul Creston - Concerto For Piano / Sonata For Saxophone And Piano

ML 5104 Elliott Carter - The Walden Quartet Of The University Of Illinois  - String Quartet ‎

ML 5105 Roger Sessions / Colin McPhee - Second String Quartet / Concerto For Piano With Wind Octette Accompaniment

ML 5106 Aaron Copland / Hugo Weisgall - Martha Lipton / Adelaide Bishop, Alfredo Antonini, Columbia Chamber Orchestra - Twelve Poems Of Emily Dickinson / The Stronger ‎

ML 5179 Stefan Wolpe / Alan Hovhaness- Ten Songs From The Hebrew / Upon Enchanted Ground / Suite For Violin, Piano, And Percussion

ML 5476 Lukas Foss / William Bergsma - String Quartet No. 1 / Third Quartet

ML 5598 Lester Trimble / Theodore Chanler  - Four Fragments From The Caunterbury Tales / Nine Epitaphs3

ML 5821 Kenneth Gaburo, Romeo Cascarino, Alvin Etler, Goddard Lieberson  - Works By Cascarino, Etler, Gaburo, Lieberson ‎

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I would jump at these recordings being issued as a box set by Sony Classical. Some of the LPs (3-4) have been issued as part of the New Music Quartet CD box set in 2019, but I’m still waiting for the whole series, particularly Lester Trimble - Four Fragments from the Canterbury Tales / Theodore Chanler - Nine Epitaphs which I discovered in a “free” box of records outside a local record shop 30 years ago as a student, in  mint stereo.

Also discovered great music of Stefan Wolpe, Goddard Lieberson, Ross Lee Finney and much more in this series which is IMHO is long overdue to be issued as a box set.

A nice bonus would also be Columbia’s recordings of Wallingford Riegger’s Piano Trio and String Quartet issued in Columbia Stereo.

Ah!! thinking there is hope for all of this music being reissued soon...

I was going through amazon “future releases” and just pre-ordered the Fromm Foundation 10 CD box set of recordings originally issued by Epic Records from the mid 1950s-early 1960s which is due to be released in May, 2020.

The set includes music of:

Luigi Dallapiccola;

Ben Weber;

Eliott Carter;

Jerome Rosen and much more.

Looking forward for the Fromm Foundation set and hope the Modern American Music Series isn’t far behind.

If there’s any Sony Masterworks people reading this, please give this a plug and release !!

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by bebopbob

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Fromm foundation box has a totally stealth treat in it - Elliot Carter's Piano Sonata as played by Charles Rosen, originally on an EPIC LP, but not Fromm-related as far as I can tell. Why it's included, I have no idea, there's zero indication unless you look in the booklet, and even there, you'd not find it except on the one page it's on. Mysterious! But happy!

16 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The Fromm foundation box has a totally stealth treat in it - Elliot Carter's Piano Sonata as played by Charles Rosen, originally on an EPIC LP, but not Fromm-related as far as I can tell. Why it's included, I have no idea, there's zero indication unless you look in the booklet, and even there, you'd not find it except on the one page it's on. Mysterious! But happy!

That disc was issued in this box

81eB0TLMEnL._SX522_.jpg

On 7/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, JSngry said:

wow...so the Pocahontas Suite remains LP only?

There is this CRI / New World release: https://www.newworldrecords.org/products/music-of-elliott-carter?_pos=2&_sid=db0b0206c&_ss=r . Available as on-demand CD-R or download and on streaming. Is there another performance you are looking for?   

Sony is releasing a 7 CD box set devoted to William Masselos in August which contains one of the Modern American Music Series LP- Music of Paul Bowles with William Masselos and music of Norman Dello-Joio.

Masselos appears to be almost forgotten these days, but hopefully this box set will bring him and his recordings of Ives, Copland, Satie and others back into the forefront of some of the greatest solo piano music recordings from the Columbia Masterworks and RCA catalogues.

As for the Modern American Music Series, I will take whatever Sony gives us, but hopefully one day they’ll devote a box to this great mid- 20th century series.

Edited by bebopbob

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2020 at 1:04 AM, bebopbob said:

Sony is releasing a 7 CD box set devoted to William Masselos in August which contains one of the Modern American Music Series LP- Music of Paul Bowles with William Masselos and music of Norman Dello-Joio.

Masselos appears to be almost forgotten these days, but hopefully this box set will bring him and his recordings of Ives, Copland, Satie and others back into the forefront of some of the greatest solo piano music recordings from the Columbia Masterworks and RCA catalogues.

Thanks for the heads-up, I just ordered one.