Don Mossi, RIP

Long time baseball fans will remember Don Mossi.  He pitched in the big leagues with several different teams in the 50's and early 60's.  A rather odd looking man whose baseball cards have become somewhat collectible.  The obituary in today's Detroit Free Press actually referred to him as a "five- tool ugly" player.  Mossi was 90.

906e52708f668ef007dee14231d46198.png 

15 hours ago, GA Russell said:

RIP Don Mossi!  I always associated him with Ray Narleski, for whom he was once traded.

They were actually traded together from the Indians to the Tigers in a deal that also involved Billy Martin.

Etchebarren was known as one of the least handsome big leaguers. Speaking of which, I recall the Joe Torre dig from (the late) Jim Bouton's Ball Four...the best quote I can find on the Internet goes:

Jim Pagliaroni joined the club tonight and is going to be a welcome addition. He was describing a girl that one of the ballplayers had been out with and said, 'It’s hard to say exactly what she looked like. She was kind of Joe Torre with tits.' This joke can only be explained with a picture of Joe Torre. But I’m not sure any exist. He dissolves* camera lenses.”

* I recall the term as "melts", but haven't looked at the book in years and could be mistaken.

Those are tough to beat. In the honorable mention category:

141763.jpg

I watched him play @ Wrigley Field several times...I question the surname prefix: surely it should be "Le", not "La"... Pete often figured in trivia questions, as his father Peter Marshall was host of the "Hollywood Squares" TV game show. Actress Joanne Dru was his aunt (I'd forgotten that - just reminded via Wiki).

BTW, I saw Rusty K. play @ Comiskey Park.

Edited by T.D.