Art Ensemble of Chicago - We Are On The Edge

felser

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

I like it. Have it in the car CD player now. You'll need a little tolerance for vocals, spoken word & percussion. Wish there was more Roscoe soloing, but overall it's definitely worth your time.

I’ve yet to enjoy any sort of spoken word within this music so this one has gone from a probably to close to a hard no thanks. Plus I really just want to hear the core 2 plus Tomeka and a few of the other real bright younger lights. 

6 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I’ve yet to enjoy any sort of spoken word within this music so this one has gone from a probably to close to a hard no thanks. Plus I really just want to hear the core 2 plus Tomeka and a few of the other real bright younger lights. 

Same here.

Among the numerous fine newish improvisation recordings I’ve been listening to, this one really stands out:

The Industry of Entropy

Brandon Lopez - double bass

Matt Nelson - tenor saxophone 

Andria Nicodemou - vibes

Gerald Cleaver - drums

on Relative Pitch Records

Cleaver is really inspired by these 3 brilliant young musicians - he’s in that in between mode which for him is that perfect balance between the heavy Can like groove and too little and too much pitter patter. Matt Nelson is a revelation. Old school meets something I don’t know yet. 

22 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Among the numerous fine newish improvisation recordings I’ve been listening to, this one really stands out:

The Industry of Entropy

Brandon Lopez - double bass

Matt Nelson - tenor saxophone 

Andria Nicodemou - vibes

Gerald Cleaver - drums

on Relative Pitch Records

Cleaver is really inspired by these 3 brilliant young musicians - he’s in that in between mode which for him is that perfect balance between the heavy Can like groove and too little and too much pitter patter. Matt Nelson is a revelation. Old school meets something I don’t know yet. 

I will have to check that one out. 

I just ordered and received from Relative Pitch the Tomeka Reid/Filippo Monico release entitled the Mouser and the James Brandon Lewis release Unruly Manifesto.  I like them both. 

9 minutes ago, sonnyhill said:

I will have to check that one out. 

I just ordered and received from Relative Pitch the Tomeka Reid/Filippo Monico release entitled the Mouser and the James Brandon Lewis release Unruly Manifesto.  I like them both. 

Old Smoke is another scorcher on Relative Pitch

Steve Basczowski on saxophones with Lopez & Corsano

I have the above 2 - not thrilled with the James Brandon Lewis recording - not sure I like the sound (the drums sound hollow) and his tenor playing hasn’t won me over (yet?). I'm also one that is not thrilled with whatever oblique reference there might be to current events of the day. I’d rather see/hear of these young guys/girls can improvise and break atoms with sound. 

the Tomeka duo CD is on my back seat in the Que.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

3 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

The People Of The Sun note the irony in your use of the phrase "bright young lights" and give you a hard no for not wanting to listen to their fullest voices.

Well I haven’t heard any spoken word or even poetry within or around this music yet in over 25 years of listening that adds anything to my listening experience. Add dance to that as well. 

Maybe this recording will be different. But I’ve yet to hear any avant-garde jazz incorporate poetry or spoken word successfully. I think it’s rarely tried because it rarely if ever works. I have great respect for the musicians I’m familiar with on this recording. Fwiw I don’t want to hear any of their poetry either. Can you recommend any successful merging of these art forms?

I do know that a few mini festivals I saw with poetry interspersed were downgraded by their inclusion.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

No, but you weren't limiting it to just her.

any sort of spoken word within this music

perhaps unintentionally broad?

The poem at the end of Archie Shepp's "There's A Trumpet In My Soul" is an incredibly moving experience, and Shepp made really good use of the spoken word on other albums such as "A See of Faces".

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 3:29 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Steve Basczowski on saxophones with Lopez & Corsano

I was familiar with Baczkowski from my trips to Buffalo to see avant-garde concerts at Hall Walls over the years.  I think he has introduced every artist I have seen there.  I finally got to see him play baritone two years ago in Cleveland with The Buffalo Jazz Octet and it was eye-opening seeing him as a performer.  He was impressive.