Circles - William S. Fischer

Circles is nice enough for me to keep it over all the years. A rather rockish groove, with two guitars, but jazzy enough with Carter and Cobham. The four cellos give it anspecial touch. The two vocals are okay, although the second tune is a little too lightweight for my taste. But the opener, Patience is Virtue, has a haunting quality with the cello riffs. Fischer did many arrangements for Atlantic that are all interesting. No nonsense, never tending towards bombastic sounds like Don Sebesky, to the point - add what is necessary and what enhances the music without getting in the way of the soloists.

• 2 years later...
On 7/27/2019 at 7:14 AM, mikeweil said:

Fischer did many arrangements for Atlantic that are all interesting. 

Here is what Wiki says.  Are there others not listed here?

He worked extensively as an arranger and session musician for jazz and popular music recordings, working with Joe ZawinulHerbie Mann, and Les McCann in the 1960s. In the 1970s, he was associated with Yusef LateefRoberta FlackGene Ammons, and Junior Mance among others. He led his own group in the 1970s (which recorded an album in 1970) and recorded with Roland Kirk in 1977 and with Pharoah Sanders in 1982.[1]

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I think someone should do an anthology for Richard Evans too. 

Like the Fischer compilation, it'd probably sell ten copies -- but both albums would be full of interesting music!  ;) 

Maybe they could do a Richard Evans/Richard Hazard anthology, so they could sell 20 copies. :D

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That's a name that's new to me.

But I see on his Wikipedia entry that he composed the music for Mannix.  Well, that's something, right there.  

He arranged a lot of groovy late-60s things, and I tend to mix him up with Richard Evans.  He worked with Sergio Mendes, among others.