Mystery tenor player.

Hardbopjazz

Is this Joe Henderson or not?  Charles McPherson says no, but Barry Harris says yes. I don't recall ever seeing a photo of Joe Without Eye Glasses. 

It's Pepper Adams on bari sax, Boo Boo Turner on piano, Al Jackson on bass. The drummer is unknown.

jh.jpg

Edited by Hardbopjazz

FWIW, there's a semi-similar photo (that was entirely new to me) on page 128 of Mark Stryker's new book Jazz from Detroit, with the following caption:

• "Tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson leading his quartet at the Blue Bird Inn in 1958 with pianist Kirk Lightsey, bassist Herman Wright and drummer Roy Brooks. Photo courtesy of Jim Gallert collection."

I say only "semi-similar" because in the photo in the book, Joe is wearing dark (sun)glasses, and wearing a bow tie. BUT the stage background (with the diagonal lines in the back, and the small framed photo hanging on the wall on the left) are *identical*. The position of the piano is entirely on the opposite sides the stage  (and facing 180° in the opposite direction). But the venue is 100% the same.

Not proof it's Joe, but damn good circumstantial evidence if you ask me. Would have to have been in Detroit (and at the Blue Bird Inn), and probably in that same late 50's time-frame.

HOLD UP!  I just managed to zoom in on the picture in this thread, and I'm NOT sure it looks similar enough to the confirmed picture of Joe (in the Mark's new Detroit book).  Facial structure, hair, and facial-hair are all different.

I showed my wife too, and she doesn't think it's the same guy either.  So given the venue is confirmed to be from the known time-frame when Joe was known to have played there (around 1958), I could see where someone could easily think that it was Joe.  But I really DON'T think it is.

Which means, of course, we have a NEW mystery.  Who IS the tenor-player in the photo in post #1 of this thread??

(And can someone with mod-powers please change this thread-title to "Mystery tenor-player? - in photo from Detroit Blue Bird Inn, circa late 50's".)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

He does look a bit like Roy Brooks to me.

Growing up in Detroit at the time when so much was happening there I recall the "early" young Roy Brooks. He was in his learning and developing period and always wanted to sit in with the local cats at gigs. His playing was not at the level he attained a few years later.

He later became one of my favorite drummers. His recordings with Horace Silver, Sonny Stitt and others was to my ears outstanding.

8 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

PS and BTW, the "unknown" drummer in the photo in post #1 of this thread looks VERY much like the drummer in the photo in Mark's Detroit book (different outfit/tie, but 80% sure it's the same guy).  If that's the case, then the "unknown drummer" would be Roy Brooks.

I agree. Looked at the photo yesterday, finished reading the book last night.

I did bring in Mark's book yesterday, but they upgraded my work laptop to Windows 10 over the weekend, and I'm I'm still missing some things (the full version of Adobe, for one), so it may be until next week before I can convert a PDF to a JPG and get it uploaded here.  Or maybe I can Rube Goldberg the thing, and get a screen-shot of the PDF, past it into Word, and then I'm not sure what next (cuz I need to pull just the image out of a much larger 11x17 inch scan of two whole pages of the book).  If not, next week sometime then.