John Cheever

I had The Collected Stories of John Cheever a long time ago.  I read many of the stories.  I re-purchased it a few years ago, and have thus far read most of the stories.  I plan on reading them all.  

I have never read any of his novels. 

I love the film adaptation of The Swimmer and the short story also.

What are your thoughts on John Cheever?

41 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I had The Collected Stories of John Cheever a long time ago.  I read many of the stories.  I re-purchased it a few years ago, and have thus far read most of the stories.  I plan on reading them all.  

I have never read any of his novels. 

I love the film adaptation of The Swimmer and the short story also.

What are your thoughts on John Cheever?

Very much agreed on The Swimmer. I read quite a few of his short stories over the years, but no novels.

Weirdly, I read Cheever's short story Torch Song in an anthology (of American Short Stories or the like) 15-20 years ago, and it creeped me out so badly that I never read anything more of his. Well-written, but something about that story deeply disturbed me. I even pitched my copy of the anthology. So I guess you could say that I find Cheever's writing extremely powerful!

5 hours ago, T.D. said:

Very much agreed on The Swimmer. I read quite a few of his short stories over the years, but no novels.

Weirdly, I read Cheever's short story Torch Song in an anthology (of American Short Stories or the like) 15-20 years ago, and it creeped me out so badly that I never read anything more of his. Well-written, but something about that story deeply disturbed me. I even pitched my copy of the anthology. So I guess you could say that I find Cheever's writing extremely powerful!

I read the Complete Shorts Stories and found them very depressing. 

I've dipped into the short stories (eventually I upgraded from the old volume to Library of America's Collected Stories and Other Writings) but haven't gotten through all of them.  I'm pretty sure I read The Wapshot Chronicle in my early 20s but none of his other novels.

• 2 weeks later...