dougcrates

Tubby Hayes - The Complete Fontana Albums (September 27, 2019)

240 posts in this topic

Ordered mine from the U.K. a few days ago and it is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.  Very excited!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is this the first time I've heard of a 12 CD set???? All I've seen (and ordered) was the unissued "Grits, Beans, Greens" release...  Oy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My copy of "Grits ..." is on its way already - yet that entire set is part of the box again -- aargh!

I miss but a few of the albums in the box, so this duplification is a major nuisance if I go ahead and buy it ... I wonder what the other bonus tracks are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£60 for the 12 CD set is very tempting, as is the 11LP set. Choices - made difficult by the fact that I’ve got pretty well all the Fontana material apart from ‘Grits’ on LP. I’ll bet these releases sound fabulous.

Dilemma...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a 10% discount if you put in the first order via Messenger. Every little helps !

5 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Why is this the first time I've heard of a 12 CD set???? All I've seen (and ordered) was the unissued "Grits, Beans, Greens" release...  Oy! 

It was mentioned a while back in the UK jazz press that the CD and LP boxes would eventually be offered by Universal via an internet site - after the CD issue of ‘Grits’ had come out. I suspect that this arrangement will be a ‘pop up’ and the LPs  in particular, which are a limited issue, may not be around for long.

8 hours ago, makpjazz57 said:

Ordered mine from the U.K. a few days ago and it is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.  Very excited!

How can that happen with a release date of late Sept for the box sets? :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mastered for MQA! Ugh!

 

However it appears they have now found the master tapes which is good news.

I believe some previous issues were needle drops. (not sure which ones off hand, perhaps Mexican Green)

Edited by Steve Gray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasn't most of this material, with the exception of "Grits, Beans & Greens", been out on Jasmine CDs in the past? And why is the NY 1961 session in mono when the session was recorded in stereo? Also, which version of "Tubbs In N.Y." will they release - the original 6 track or the later 8 track version? Plus, the Columbia CD has all 4 unissued tracks from this session. Will all 4 of those tracks be on the CD version but not the LP version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jasmine CDs were of the Tempo material, which was earlier than Fontana. Previous UK CD issues of the material were on Redial and Impressed/Repressed, both Universal imprints.

I am assuming that the LPs will be straight facsimiles of the original issues without any alternates, except ‘Grits’, which is without alternates.

Looks like the 1961 ‘Tubbs’ session is in stereo. The surprise is the later ‘Tubbs in NY’, which they are saying will be in mono. That one definitely appeared as a Fontana stereo, as I have a copy. I guess the stereo master of that one must be MIA.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to get only the 2 CD Grits set when it's released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

I'm going to get only the 2 CD Grits set when it's released.

Going the same route and ordered already ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sidewinder said:

There’s a 10% discount if you put in the first order via Messenger. Every little helps !

Which 'Messenger' is that please? I assume you're not referring to Jazz Messengers in Barcelona?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hoping to be able to get the LP set. Have a bunch of this stuff on CDs but those are in storage and some have gotten a bit scruffy with age, so...

would be cool if Dusty Groove carries it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely going to get this, though I imagine there's a fair amount of overlap between the first several discs of this set and the Little Giant Steps set from Proper that I already have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Jasmine CDs were of the Tempo material, which was earlier than Fontana. Previous UK CD issues of the material were on Redial and Impressed/Repressed, both Universal imprints.

I am assuming that the LPs will be straight facsimiles of the original issues without any alternates, except ‘Grits’, which is without alternates.

Looks like the 1961 ‘Tubbs’ session is in stereo. The surprise is the later ‘Tubbs in NY’, which they are saying will be in mono. That one definitely appeared as a Fontana stereo, as I have a copy. I guess the stereo master of that one must be MIA.

I think I have all of the ones from this set that I wanted. I have "Return Visit!" as "Tubby's Back in Town" on a gold-plated Smash CD, which appears to have gone up in value these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2scoops said:

Which 'Messenger' is that please? I assume you're not referring to Jazz Messengers in Barcelona?

Thanks

Facebook Messenger :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Jasmine CDs were of the Tempo material, which was earlier than Fontana. Previous UK CD issues of the material were on Redial and Impressed/Repressed, both Universal imprints.

I am assuming that the LPs will be straight facsimiles of the original issues without any alternates, except ‘Grits’, which is without alternates.

Looks like the 1961 ‘Tubbs’ session is in stereo. The surprise is the later ‘Tubbs in NY’, which they are saying will be in mono. That one definitely appeared as a Fontana stereo, as I have a copy. I guess the stereo master of that one must be MIA.

Jasmine is a (good) PD label, so their material cuts off at 1962.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I am hoping to be able to get the LP set. Have a bunch of this stuff on CDs but those are in storage and some have gotten a bit scruffy with age, so...

would be cool if Dusty Groove carries it.

I’ve pre-ordered - delivery here in the UK is via courier. Nice to get the 10% !

I’ve waited 40 years for a set like this to appear so there is no way I want to have a Rendell/Carr disappearing act happen on me. Added bonus will be no doubt an authoratative booklet by Simon Spillett.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Definitely going to get this, though I imagine there's a fair amount of overlap between the first several discs of this set and the Little Giant Steps set from Proper that I already have.

I have confidence that the masters/transfers will trounce the PD versions previously available. Plus the appeal of Simon’s booklet of course. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to read Simon S’s notes on the Harkit ‘On The Air’ release with Gordon Beck’s trio of an alleged Fontana studio recording by Hayes with the Beck/Clyne/Butts trio which has obviously not materialised since the Harkit notes were written in 2005.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$89.99 after the 10% off and including the $21 to have it shipped stateside. The box doesn't seem to show up on any of the expected retail websites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greggery peccary said:

$89.99 after the 10% off and including the $21 to have it shipped stateside. The box doesn't seem to show up on any of the expected retail websites.

It doesn't come out for another two months, so I am waiting it out.  Certainly Ebay will show it when released, and I expect ImportCDs and Amazon to show pre-release at some point.   Those sites and Discogs are the only places I look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dusty are listing the CD version as ‘forthcoming’ over there but no mention of the LP version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going through the list:

  • CD1: Tubbs (1961)
  • CD2: Equation In Rhythm / Palladium Jazz Date (A side: Southern Routes Pts. 1 & 2, B side: Tubby Hayes’ Palladium Jazz Date tracks) + Sally/I believe In You (single) (1961 & 1962)
  • CD3: Tubbs In N.Y. (1961)*
  • CD4: Return Visit! (1962)
  • CD5: Late Spot At Scott's (1962)*
  • CD6: Down In The Village (1962)
  • CD7: Tubbs' Tours (1964) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD8: 100% Proof (1967) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD9: Mexican Green (1967) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD10 & 11: Grits, Beans And Greens (Complete sessions) (1969)
  • CD12: The Orchestra (1970)

CDs 5 & 6 were out on ReDial or whatever that then BMG/RCA outlet was called ... CDs 1-4 (only part of CD 2?) and 7-9 were available in the Impressed Re:Pressed series. I have those ...

Not sure about CD 2 ... I see "Palladium Jazz Date" was a shared LP with Cleo Laine - definitely don't have that. My understanding is that the Costanzo album is only represented in the new box with the tracks Tubbs actually plays on, and then it adds a single ...

And I still don't have CD 3 - I wonder if the bonus tracks from the old Columbia will be included (they're not "previously unreleased", so the absence of that comment says nothing).

CD 12 was not part of the Impressed Re:Pressed series I understand? Or was it and I missed it?

Without the separate release of CDs 10/11 (still on its way), that doesn't make the box all that enticing (1.5 albums, a single, some bonus material on discs 7-9).

Hmmm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.