Tubby Hayes - The Complete Fontana Albums (September 27, 2019)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My copy of "Grits ..." is on its way already - yet that entire set is part of the box again -- aargh!

I miss but a few of the albums in the box, so this duplification is a major nuisance if I go ahead and buy it ... I wonder what the other bonus tracks are.

There’s a 10% discount if you put in the first order via Messenger. Every little helps !

5 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Why is this the first time I've heard of a 12 CD set???? All I've seen (and ordered) was the unissued "Grits, Beans, Greens" release...  Oy! 

It was mentioned a while back in the UK jazz press that the CD and LP boxes would eventually be offered by Universal via an internet site - after the CD issue of ‘Grits’ had come out. I suspect that this arrangement will be a ‘pop up’ and the LPs  in particular, which are a limited issue, may not be around for long.

8 hours ago, makpjazz57 said:

Ordered mine from the U.K. a few days ago and it is supposed to arrive on Wednesday.  Very excited!

How can that happen with a release date of late Sept for the box sets? :wacko:

Hasn't most of this material, with the exception of "Grits, Beans & Greens", been out on Jasmine CDs in the past? And why is the NY 1961 session in mono when the session was recorded in stereo? Also, which version of "Tubbs In N.Y." will they release - the original 6 track or the later 8 track version? Plus, the Columbia CD has all 4 unissued tracks from this session. Will all 4 of those tracks be on the CD version but not the LP version?

The Jasmine CDs were of the Tempo material, which was earlier than Fontana. Previous UK CD issues of the material were on Redial and Impressed/Repressed, both Universal imprints.

I am assuming that the LPs will be straight facsimiles of the original issues without any alternates, except ‘Grits’, which is without alternates.

Looks like the 1961 ‘Tubbs’ session is in stereo. The surprise is the later ‘Tubbs in NY’, which they are saying will be in mono. That one definitely appeared as a Fontana stereo, as I have a copy. I guess the stereo master of that one must be MIA.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The Jasmine CDs were of the Tempo material, which was earlier than Fontana. Previous UK CD issues of the material were on Redial and Impressed/Repressed, both Universal imprints.

I am assuming that the LPs will be straight facsimiles of the original issues without any alternates, except ‘Grits’, which is without alternates.

Looks like the 1961 ‘Tubbs’ session is in stereo. The surprise is the later ‘Tubbs in NY’, which they are saying will be in mono. That one definitely appeared as a Fontana stereo, as I have a copy. I guess the stereo master of that one must be MIA.

I think I have all of the ones from this set that I wanted. I have "Return Visit!" as "Tubby's Back in Town" on a gold-plated Smash CD, which appears to have gone up in value these days.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Jasmine is a (good) PD label, so their material cuts off at 1962.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I am hoping to be able to get the LP set. Have a bunch of this stuff on CDs but those are in storage and some have gotten a bit scruffy with age, so...

would be cool if Dusty Groove carries it.

I’ve pre-ordered - delivery here in the UK is via courier. Nice to get the 10% !

I’ve waited 40 years for a set like this to appear so there is no way I want to have a Rendell/Carr disappearing act happen on me. Added bonus will be no doubt an authoratative booklet by Simon Spillett.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Definitely going to get this, though I imagine there's a fair amount of overlap between the first several discs of this set and the Little Giant Steps set from Proper that I already have.

I have confidence that the masters/transfers will trounce the PD versions previously available. Plus the appeal of Simon’s booklet of course. :)

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, greggery peccary said:

$89.99 after the 10% off and including the $21 to have it shipped stateside. The box doesn't seem to show up on any of the expected retail websites.

It doesn't come out for another two months, so I am waiting it out.  Certainly Ebay will show it when released, and I expect ImportCDs and Amazon to show pre-release at some point.   Those sites and Discogs are the only places I look.

Going through the list:

• CD1: Tubbs (1961)
  • CD2: Equation In Rhythm / Palladium Jazz Date (A side: Southern Routes Pts. 1 & 2, B side: Tubby Hayes’ Palladium Jazz Date tracks) + Sally/I believe In You (single) (1961 & 1962)
  • CD3: Tubbs In N.Y. (1961)*
  • CD4: Return Visit! (1962)
  • CD5: Late Spot At Scott's (1962)*
  • CD6: Down In The Village (1962)
  • CD7: Tubbs' Tours (1964) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD8: 100% Proof (1967) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD9: Mexican Green (1967) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD10 & 11: Grits, Beans And Greens (Complete sessions) (1969)
  • CD12: The Orchestra (1970)

CDs 5 & 6 were out on ReDial or whatever that then BMG/RCA outlet was called ... CDs 1-4 (only part of CD 2?) and 7-9 were available in the Impressed Re:Pressed series. I have those ...

Not sure about CD 2 ... I see "Palladium Jazz Date" was a shared LP with Cleo Laine - definitely don't have that. My understanding is that the Costanzo album is only represented in the new box with the tracks Tubbs actually plays on, and then it adds a single ...

And I still don't have CD 3 - I wonder if the bonus tracks from the old Columbia will be included (they're not "previously unreleased", so the absence of that comment says nothing).

CD 12 was not part of the Impressed Re:Pressed series I understand? Or was it and I missed it?

Without the separate release of CDs 10/11 (still on its way), that doesn't make the box all that enticing (1.5 albums, a single, some bonus material on discs 7-9).

Hmmm.