Tubby Hayes - The Complete Fontana Albums (September 27, 2019)

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

And I still don't have CD 3 - I wonder if the bonus tracks from the old Columbia will be included (they're not "previously unreleased", so the absence of that comment says nothing).

I can't believe how cheap that Columbia CD is going for on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1505081?ev=rb

That disc used to sell for well over $50 for years. It is somewhat rare. I have been told that it was actually recalled because someone found that Columbia's contract was invalid. It was only put out because Mike Berniker was running the Legacy reissue program at the time and he was session's original producer. He felt the need to get this material out there. I'm glad he did.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That cd also had a European release, so there are more out there than just a US release. I have the Europen version. Great music!

I've pre-ordered the new Fontana set and what pushed me over the line was the inclusion of the new two disc "lost album" set.

Be very careful in ordering the "Grits, Beans and Greens".  I thought I was ordering the two-CD version, but in fact clicked on the single-CD.  My fault completely, of course, but the covers are identical, and unless you're very observant -- and it's late at night -- you might not get what you want.

For some reason, this whole Hayes Adventure has been somewhat confusing for me:  it's 2 CD set, then learn it's also part of a 12 CD set, then get a single CD after thinking you ordered the 2 CD version too soon because you'd likely get the 12 CD....  Wow, I guess I'm just getting really old.

Now, all I need is to put the single CD in a machine and see if it'll even play!  What the hell is MQA-CD?  The Hayes booklet says "When a conventional CD player is connected to an MQA-enabled device, the CD will reveal the original master quality."

What fresh tech-hell is this?

Hmmm...  Why buy it at all?  Looks like the whole thing is up for free here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN6eKuLqsxU&list=OLAK5uy_m3BKnRW85upgM_ttVXoF_sJWeUFszN_a0

7 hours ago, king ubu said:

Going through the list:

• CD1: Tubbs (1961)
  • CD2: Equation In Rhythm / Palladium Jazz Date (A side: Southern Routes Pts. 1 & 2, B side: Tubby Hayes’ Palladium Jazz Date tracks) + Sally/I believe In You (single) (1961 & 1962)
  • CD3: Tubbs In N.Y. (1961)*
  • CD4: Return Visit! (1962)
  • CD5: Late Spot At Scott's (1962)*
  • CD6: Down In The Village (1962)
  • CD7: Tubbs' Tours (1964) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD8: 100% Proof (1967) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD9: Mexican Green (1967) + previously unreleased bonus material
  • CD10 & 11: Grits, Beans And Greens (Complete sessions) (1969)
  • CD12: The Orchestra (1970)

CDs 5 & 6 were out on ReDial or whatever that then BMG/RCA outlet was called ... CDs 1-4 (only part of CD 2?) and 7-9 were available in the Impressed Re:Pressed series. I have those ...

Not sure about CD 2 ... I see "Palladium Jazz Date" was a shared LP with Cleo Laine - definitely don't have that. My understanding is that the Costanzo album is only represented in the new box with the tracks Tubbs actually plays on, and then it adds a single ...

And I still don't have CD 3 - I wonder if the bonus tracks from the old Columbia will be included (they're not "previously unreleased", so the absence of that comment says nothing).

CD 12 was not part of the Impressed Re:Pressed series I understand? Or was it and I missed it?

Without the separate release of CDs 10/11 (still on its way), that doesn't make the box all that enticing (1.5 albums, a single, some bonus material on discs 7-9).

Hmmm.

The ‘Palladium Jazz Date’ LP has one side of Cleo Laine and the other side with Tubby and co. so half of that LP is included. Much of ‘Equation in Rhythm’ was Jack Constanzo in various permutations and not much (but what there is is very good) Tubby. The ‘Sally’ track plus B side were from a Fontana EP not on any of the albums - never heard that one.

CD12 ‘The Orchestra’ has never been previously put out on CD in the UK and I’m not even sure it has ever been issued in Japan. I have a Fontana LP of it - more commercial/MOR but very enjoyable and a great band of course.

8 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

What do you mean? The sound? The album's excellent.

Yes, they messed up the sound and the cover art is sub-standard, not at all clear. The Japanese issue was better. Musically, it is one of his finest if not the finest of his recordings. Sold no more than about 1000 LPs at time of release, I’ve heard. Having said that - I’ve seen more than a handful in shops here, over the years.

Clunky had some comments on the sound in the 2005 thread.

Edited by sidewinder

Gentlemen,

Everything on the forthcoming box is transferred from the original Fontana master, session or reference reels.

The previous Japanese Universal and Impressed Repressed reissues were needle drops made by the Nippon arm of the company.

Plus there is the added bonus of previously unissued material from the sessions for 'Tubbs' Tours', '100% Proof' and 'Mexican Green'.

All of the 'Tubbs in NY' recordings are on the set including the four 'extra' titles that appeared on the deleted CBS CD that was issued in 1990.

I've been very fortunate to have been the consultant on this box (and the 'Grits, Beans and Greens' set) and think it's the definitive treatment of this material.

I've also contributed a small book to accompany the music which includes rare photographs and ephemera relating to Tubby's Fontana contract.

I hope that answers some questions.

Simon Spillett 

Edited by SimonSpill

1 hour ago, SimonSpill said:

All of the 'Tubbs in NY' recordings are on the set including the four 'extra' titles that appeared on the deleted CBS CD that was issued in 1990.

Simon Spillett 

Simon, are these in mono or stereo?  I once had the CBS CD, and if I recall it was stereo.  But earlier in this thread it's indicated as a mono issue in the 12 CD set.

5 hours ago, SimonSpill said:

The previous Japanese Universal and Impressed Repressed reissues were needle drops made by the Nippon arm of the company.

Many thanks for the confirmation of that !  

Any idea what happened to the stereo ‘Tubbs in NY’ master? 

Edited by sidewinder

As I mentioned in another thread I picked up the vinyl edition of Grits, beans and Greens. 

It sounds absolutely fantastic. No hype required this is a brilliant discovery. It comes with a multi page LP liner note by Simon. I’d imagine this’ll be integrated in the larger booklet for the LP box set. As you’d expect from Simon it’s very informative. I’m very excited to hear re rest of the Fontana sessions on LP. I’ve very few of them put off in the past by the shoddy presentation of Mexican Green and 100% Proof on their CD reissue in 2005.

To add further detail on the forthcoming boxed sets: all the previously unissued material (including the full session tapes of the 'Grits, Beans and Greens' date) are on the CD VERSION ONLY.

The LP box represents faithful facsimiles of the original Fontana issues (except where 'Palladium Jazz Date' and 'Equation in Rhythm' are concerned; these tracks are on one LP).

The 'Sally/I Believe In You' single is also only included on the CD box.

The booklet notes for the boxed sets are completely fresh and don't interpolate those written for the 'Grits' releases.

Edited by SimonSpill

3 hours ago, SimonSpill said:

To add further detail on the forthcoming boxed sets: all the previously unissued material (including the full session tapes of the 'Grits, Beans and Greens' date) are on the CD VERSION ONLY.

The LP box represents faithful facsimiles of the original Fontana issues (except where 'Palladium Jazz Date' and 'Equation in Rhythm' are concerned; these tracks are on one LP).

The 'Sally/I Believe In You' single is also only included on the CD box.

The booklet notes for the boxed sets are completely fresh and don't interpolate those written for the 'Grits' releases.

Any info about the "Mexican Green" bonus material pls .... ?