Tubby Hayes - The Complete Fontana Albums (September 27, 2019)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still cannot get how I receive this 10% discount... please help!

Thanks!

On 7/30/2019 at 0:30 PM, sidewinder said:

There’s a 10% discount if you put in the first order via Messenger. Every little helps !

It was mentioned a while back in the UK jazz press that the CD and LP boxes would eventually be offered by Universal via an internet site - after the CD issue of ‘Grits’ had come out. I suspect that this arrangement will be a ‘pop up’ and the LPs  in particular, which are a limited issue, may not be around for long.

How can that happen with a release date of late Sept for the box sets? :wacko:

On 7/30/2019 at 4:13 AM, dougcrates said:

I cannot believe they charge 135 Euro for the LP and CD boxsets for EU shipping. Is it actually the EU/UK website or the US one? Thanks again!

I got the 10% by accessing the udiscovermusic store link via the Facebook Messenger app. With the first order, udiscovermusic give you 10% off via a discount code. Good luck !

Is that 135 Euro for shipping just to the EU? Can’t be right, surely. The UK order worked out at about £6 for courier delivery, which seemed reasonable to me.

Edited by sidewinder

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

I got the 10% by accessing the udiscovermusic store link via the Facebook Messenger app. With the first order, udiscovermusic give you 10% off via a discount code. Good luck !

Is that 135 Euro for shipping just to the EU? Can’t be right, surely. The UK order worked out at about £6 for courier delivery, which seemed reasonable to me.

Thanks! I just got the code.

Regarding shipping I just tried with various EU countries. UK is as you said. Germany is 55 Euro, Italy 118 Euro and Greece 135 Euro !! Unbelievable. Very dissapointing.

***Will these LP and CD big boxes be available from amazon etc.?***

Ridiculous - for that sort of price they must be renting a cab for individual delivery over the water. :o

Not sure about Amazon etc. The only physical shop I have seen actually advertising this set is Dusty Groove and they are showing CD only for future order.

Edited by sidewinder

As all this material has been transferred from the original Fontana masters or session reels the sound will be better than any previous reissues. 

I suspect that the price of the LP set reflects the 'high end' vinyl fetish that's all the rage.

The CD issue has multiple alternate takes and added tracks from '100% Proof' which are stunning - in some cases superior to those used on the original album.

There is an equally superb (and unexpected) title from 'Tubbs' Tours' which showcases Tubby's gorgeous ballad playing.

And as for the 'Mexican Green' extras I can reveal that TH and the band taped no fewer than FOUR takes of one title in less than half an hour! They are on fire on these.

Also, there is another beautiful ballad from the same sessions.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:13 PM, mjazzg said:

Took a deep breath and preordered the LP set...this will be my real intro to Tubby as I only have two big band CDs. In for a penny...

Those European postage rates are madness. Maybe worth emailing to check?

yeah, shipping to the US is probably pretty expensive, I'd gather. I don't mind forking over for the set itself, but if they gouge like another $150 to ship, I don' think I could justify it... 

christ, $125 to ship. Wonder what Royal Mail certified would be?

With releases like this - with back stories that set the context and give the music its correct chronological position in the artists discography - I think how you buy is a big factor. 

I like packaging, background, photos, the feel of a definitive 'product.'

But I would say that wouldn't I? 😎

Edited by SimonSpill

38 minutes ago, SimonSpill said:

With releases like this - with back stories that set the context and give the music its correct chronological position in the artists discography - I think how you buy is a big factor. 

I like packaging, background, photos, the feel of a definitive 'product.'

But I would say that wouldn't I? 😎

Will this release be generally available?  Da Bastids (Dustygroove) in Chicago show it as pre-release, so presumably they plan on carrying it.  Looking to avoid astronomical shipping fees to USA.  I fully agree with you on context, etc. on a well-done physical set bringing massive added value.

Edited by felser

1 hour ago, SimonSpill said:

As I understand it, the CD version of the box will be on general release.

The LP version is, however, a limited edition.

Thanks.  That works well for me (I don't do vinyl), though I'm sure some board members are disappointed to hear that.  But we need to give huge thanks that this release is happening at all!

3 hours ago, SimonSpill said:

As I understand it, the CD version of the box will be on general release.

The LP version is, however, a limited edition.

If this limited edition goes off like the Rendell-Carr vinyl box, get your order in early as it will likely sell out quickly - unless they learned from that Rendell-Carr box. :)

Well, limited edition is just that. 

Maybe they'll bring out individual albums eventually, perhaps on LP and CD?

I'm so pleased that all this material is being made available. Some of us (ahem!) have been lobbying for this since goodness knows when...

...and, on a personal note, although I'm not the type to have a 'bucket list' one of my long held fantasies was to be in on the planning and production of a definitive Tubby box set (I've done my share of indie label anthologies).

To know that original tapes have been sourced and used is the major selling point here, obviously, and for a Tubby-ologist like myself, just to see the tape boxes was a thing of beauty!

Just wait until you hear the out-takes from 'Mexican Green'!

#burnin'

• 3 weeks later...