Tubby Hayes - The Complete Fontana Albums (September 27, 2019)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 31/07/2019 at 11:07 PM, Ted O'Reilly said:

Simon, are these in mono or stereo?  I once had the CBS CD, and if I recall it was stereo.  But earlier in this thread it's indicated as a mono issue in the 12 CD set.

Ted, Tubbs in N.Y. was originally released on Fontana but "illegally" reissued on CBS 466363 in stereo as Tubby Hayes with Clark Terry "The New York Sessions". I'm currently listening to said stereo version reissued on CD as CBS 466363 2. So why the stereo tapes are missing is a mystery. Shame because the album is superb. However and notwithstanding the mono NY session, I'm still greatly looking forward to the complete Fontana Tubbs box set, especially the much maligned "The Orchestra", never previously reissued. 

Will this be available through Amazon in the U.S., or just Dusty Groove? Recommendations on the best online source for purchasing it? Right now I’m leaning towards Dusty Groove, but waiting to see if it pops up on Amazon in the next few weeks. Surprised not to see it there yet, given its 9/27 release date.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:23 PM, SimonSpill said:

With releases like this - with back stories that set the context and give the music its correct chronological position in the artists discography - I think how you buy is a big factor. 

I like packaging, background, photos, the feel of a definitive 'product.'

But I would say that wouldn't I? 😎

Totally in your camp, Simon! Thanks for all of your work regarding Mr. Hayes. I’m definitely in on the CD box set.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 4 weeks later...
On 22.8.2019 at 0:31 AM, jlhoots said:

As I said elsewhere, the 2 CD version has an explicit content sticker & says made in the Czech Republic.  Strange!!

Do they still use THAT bashful term TODAY to avoid turning red in the face by stating outright what it is? Vulgar? Obscene (maybe)? :lol: Back to the puritan Eisenhower era? Seriously??

As if the word "explicit" did not have enough other widespread and perfectly appropriate meanings in the English language ... My, my ...

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Any sign of this set's availability yet beyond the UDiscover link?  Still not seeing it up for pre-order at Dusty Groove or on Amazon USA/UK.

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/925779

Dusty Groove doesn't do pre-orders but you can sign up to be notified when the product goes live on their site.

Edited by dougcrates

20 hours ago, dougcrates said:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/925779

Dusty Groove doesn't do pre-orders but you can sign up to be notified when the product goes live on their site.

Right--I'm definitely signing up for that, thanks much.

1 hour ago, djcavanagh said:

My understanding is that the set is now delayed to November.

Much appreciation for the update--I'll recalibrate my budget for November, in that case.  Really looking forward to this set.

• 3 weeks later...

That was an error on the part of the manager of the store. I've been there today to pick up my box, but surprise! it wasn't there. Only the Grits, Beans and Greens double CD, as I had already feared (the quoted price was more in line with a double than with a 12 CD box). But as the cover is the same she thought it was what I had mentioned and she kept it apart for me. As I was already there she asked the Purchases manager who told her there was no news about that box. So, again I'll have to wait until December 6th, at least...