Tubby Hayes - The Complete Fontana Albums (September 27, 2019)

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

I’d avoided most of these because of a combination of lack of availability and reports of poor sound. It’s a pity that the unreleased material is only on the full CD set. 

I'm waiting for a price drop after a few months for the CD box, or even a stream, to pick up alternates.

I'm rationing myself, trying to get to know each album before moving on as it's all new to me; so still only 5 LPs in.

Favourite session so far is ' Tubbs in NY'. But favourite individual tracks are 'The Folks Who Live On The Hill' and 'Down In The Village'.

All going nicely with the Beeb's Keeler drama too. Think a visit to Bar Italia is required this week 😃

My reading of the Spillett bio has now caught up with my listening

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound is so good on the CD set that I could happily live just with that version. Will probably change my mind though after I delve into the LPs. :)

I have found too that I have been playing each disk 4 or 5 times before moving on to the next one. Simon’s book beckons for a re-read. 

Edited by sidewinder

Just got this from Amazon.ca.  Cost me less than $50 for the set, but I'm gonna be waiting a while!

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on December 18, 2019 (Order# 701-2175187-9677008). We've listed the item(s) listed below with the expected delivery date(s):

Tubby Hayes Quartet "The Complete Fontana Albums (1961-1969) (11CD)"

Estimated arrival date: February 06, 2020 - March 18, 2020

55 minutes ago, felser said:

Just got this from Amazon.ca.  Cost me less than $50 for the set, but I'm gonna be waiting a while!

Hello from Amazon.ca.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on December 18, 2019 (Order# 701-2175187-9677008). We've listed the item(s) listed below with the expected delivery date(s):

Tubby Hayes Quartet "The Complete Fontana Albums (1961-1969) (11CD)"

Estimated arrival date: February 06, 2020 - March 18, 2020

I tried that today and received a message saying they couldn't ship to my address.

Interesting factoid - the late Terry Brown, trumpeter and producer on many of these Fontana sessions (his voice can be heard calling takes on ‘Grits’) is apparently the grandfather of present day  British/Bahraini trumpeter Yazz Ahmed. Terry Brown deserves great credit towards the success of these sessions (he had toured with Tubbs in the 1950s).

Edited by sidewinder

Good to hear everyone's enjoying the set. 

A couple of things: yes, everything on the box has been mastered straight off the original Fontana tapes - either masters or session reels - or in the case of certain items from the '100% Proof' sessions from Tubby's own reference copies.

Secondly, sadly Decca/UMG were unable to use the four extra tracks from the 'Tubbs in N.Y.' date, which appeared on the deleted 'The N.Y. Sessions' CD, as Epic/Columbia own the masters.

The sound quality on the entire box is stunning. Just compare it to the needle drops on the previous CD releases or the couple of versions of the 'Sally' single that are out there on various compilations. 

Although I'm hardly objective, I can't see any other issues of this music topping this treatment. I'm just so pleased it's out there, finally.

Edited by SimonSpill

8 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Interesting factoid - the late Terry Brown, trumpeter and producer on many of these Fontana sessions (his voice can be heard calling takes on ‘Grits’) is apparently the grandfather of present day  British/Bahraini trumpeter Yazz Ahmed. Terry Brown deserves great credit towards the success of these sessions (he had toured with Tubbs in the 1950s).

That's interesting, I'm a big fan of Yazz.

On 31/12/2019 at 11:42 PM, SimonSpill said:

Although I'm hardly objective, I can't see any other issues of this music topping this treatment. I'm just so pleased it's out there, finally.

Most definitely - exceeds the already high expectations.

Nice to see your Big Band lined up to do a ‘Plays The Music of Tubby Hayes’ headliner at Swanage next Summer, Simon ! :tup:tup

On 28/12/2019 at 7:02 PM, sidewinder said:

The additional unissued material on the CD set is also definitely worth having.

Yes, though nearly all of this is new to me, I must admit that what I really like more is Mexican Green, the only album I had before, plus Grits, which is in a similar vein. Plus the Simon Spillett booklet is also great, and it's a very good idea to present it all in Mini LP format. The Mini LPs are not as sophisticated as the Japanese, but it's true they also display the spine. Something (I think) the Japanese don't. And for the sound: it's very good (I'll have to get rid of my Impressed-Repressed copy of Mexican Green. Though I have to say Gilles Peterson made a very good choice there). And I agree that Tubbs in N.Y. is a great album.

Got my set yesterday and finally got to listen to the first disc today. I am LOVING that disc. Tubby reminds me of Sal Nistico (a favorite of mine) in his ability to move on fast tunes. This is all entirely new to me as I had *none* of the Fontana albums before this. Really looking forward to listening to the rest of this set!

gregmo

On 1/6/2020 at 8:23 PM, SimonSpill said:

I never ever gave up playing. I've been a professional musician since 1996...

The only thing I've given up is making albums. Three awful ones is quite enough, I think...

Well, I have 2 of them - Introducing SS and Sienna Red. I think they're very good. Don't underestimate yourself.  

2 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Well, I have 2 of them - Introducing SS and Sienna Red. I think they're very good. Don't underestimate yourself.  

On 1/4/2020 at 5:52 PM, jlhoots said:

Does this mean you're back to playing & recording? Hope so.

I never ever gave up playing. I've been a professional musician since 1996...

The only thing I've given up is making albums. Three awful ones is quite enough, I think...

Very kind of you to say, John. Thank you.

Got the LP set through a helpful UK board agent who saved me a bit on shipping. Sorry to hear that others had major issues in this regard!

Sound so far is superb; my only quibble is the printed 'flipbacks' on the LP sleeves, probably shoulda just left 'em off. But whatever. Definite upgrade on Japanese issues for sure.

5 hours ago, SimonSpill said:

It would be. The new set comes straight off the masters or session tapes. The Universal Japan and UK Impressed/Re-pressed CDs were straight off vinyl.

To me to upgrade is a no brainer...

Currently listening to the CD box set - spectacular SQ - The live Ronnie Scott discs are  almost like being in the club - definitely my fav release of 2019. Also, I've got your book out again Simon & re-reading bits of it. Looks like some of the recording dates have been reassessed & changed.

10 hours ago, romualdo said:

Currently listening to the CD box set - spectacular SQ - The live Ronnie Scott discs are  almost like being in the club - definitely my fav release of 2019. Also, I've got your book out again Simon & re-reading bits of it. Looks like some of the recording dates have been reassessed & changed.

Yes, since getting access to some of Tubby's work diaries I've been able to ascertain the correct dates, in particular the Costanzo and 'The Orchestra' sessions which were listed under the wrong dates in Barbara Schwarz's discography.