Tencent in Talks to Buy 10% of Universal Music Group

mjzee

Chinese digital giant Tencent has entered negotiations with French media conglomerate Vivendi to buy a 10% stake in Universal Music Group.

Vivendi announced the talks Tuesday, saying that the negotiations were based on a valuation of UMG of €30 billion ($33.6 billion). Tencent’s potential 10% stake would therefore cost €3 billion ($3.36 billion). The deal would give Tencent a one-year option to purchase another 10% stake on the same terms.

Vivendi said the two companies were also exploring other areas of “strategic commercial cooperation” that would help grow UMG, the world’s biggest music company with market share of more than 30% in 2018, through new digital initiatives and territories. In addition, Vivendi is continuing to seek other buyers interested in a stake in its extremely lucrative music unit, which boasts a glittering roster of superstars such as Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Billie Eilish, as well as divisions dedicated to publishing, merchandise and other sectors.

More here: https://variety.com/2019/music/news/tencent-talks-buy-stake-universal-music-group-vivendi-1203293477/

51 minutes ago, Dave James said:

Whew !!  For a second, I thought Tencent was a rapper.

Well, I at least knew better than that.  I still remember Tencent from the chain of stores he and his partner Five had all across the country years and years ago (their stores were famous for the line of Million Dollar Babies they carried).  I wondered what happened to them after the stores went out of business.  Apparently Tencent moved to China and has done quite well for himself.

The still unanswered question for me is, who is Billie Eilish?:huh:

1 - I find this odd because China is famous for intellectual property theft.

2 - When I read about Universal, Sony and Warner being the world's three biggest record companies, I never see a reference to any Chinese or Indian stars on their labels.  Who do the Chinese and Indian stars record for?

Regarding #1, a little Googling will reveal that Tencent already has done a share swap with Spotify "that saw each side take an undisclosed slice of the other for strategic purposes going forward". These were significant slices, 7.5 to 10% at the time. There's also talk that streaming is growing in China. Reuters article here. More analysis from a source unfamiliar to me here.

I have no idea about #2.

In my admittedly limited experience with current "Asian" pop musics being consumed in America, I got one word - digital. And all the implications that come with that. "Sales" may be an only occasionally relevant statistic.

15 hours ago, duaneiac said:

The still unanswered question for me is, who is Billie Eilish?:huh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Eilish

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

In my admittedly limited experience with current "Asian" pop musics being consumed in America, I got one word - digital. And all the implications that come with that. "Sales" may be an only occasionally relevant statistic.

I.e. translate my question as "download/streaming statistics" or whatever the industry uses to verify who is a "hot act" in the world of digital music consumption.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

My point is just that there's a lot of traffic in that music that doesn't involve official industry channels. Again, my experience is limited, but there seem to be plenty of ways to get the media (and not just music) from, shall we say, "unauthorized third party sources". It's pop music, it's coming from a different continent, and it's digital. Use your imagination as to the possibilities! :g