Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluesForBartok

Looking for best places to buy records in Amsterdam

5 posts in this topic

Heading to Amsterdam next week and looking for recommendations on best record stores.

Thanks!

Well there used to be a jazz specialty shop in Amsterdam that went bankrupt about 10 years ago. By far your best option is:

https://concerto.amsterdam/en/

Quite a big shop on the Utrechtsestraat (near Rembrandtplein) with also a large 'used and second hand' section. Lots of vinyl too these days. 

I would definitely skip the 'Fame' shop that is now in the Media Markt these days. It used to be the largest record store in NL but it has been moved a couple of times. It is still big but they do not have a lot jazz, and only new items which means these days they mostly sell the 50 albums on 1 cd crap from NOT NOW Jazz and those kind of labels. The Velvetmusic store is fine if you are not in to jazz: they don't really have special stuff unfortunately in the jazz genre.

I must say that I do not have a lot of experience with other stores. Perhaps other board members?

For CDs and new stuff I agree re Concerto. For used vinyl, I tried out many shops a year ago. My favorite was Waxwell (Gasthuismolensteeg 8), followed by City Records (Geldersekade 100A). If you come to Rotterdam, don't miss vinylspot, and in the Hague don't miss the Jazz Center...

Worth visiting Concerto even if you don't buy anything.  It's just a nice place to be. 

Thanks for the recommendations. ...hit Concerto 2x. It is a nice place to be indeed Medjuck

Here’s the pull:

B1SAugznp_6

No photo description available.