Looking for best places to buy records in Amsterdam

bluesForBartok

Well there used to be a jazz specialty shop in Amsterdam that went bankrupt about 10 years ago. By far your best option is:

https://concerto.amsterdam/en/

Quite a big shop on the Utrechtsestraat (near Rembrandtplein) with also a large 'used and second hand' section. Lots of vinyl too these days. 

I would definitely skip the 'Fame' shop that is now in the Media Markt these days. It used to be the largest record store in NL but it has been moved a couple of times. It is still big but they do not have a lot jazz, and only new items which means these days they mostly sell the 50 albums on 1 cd crap from NOT NOW Jazz and those kind of labels. The Velvetmusic store is fine if you are not in to jazz: they don't really have special stuff unfortunately in the jazz genre.

I must say that I do not have a lot of experience with other stores. Perhaps other board members?

For CDs and new stuff I agree re Concerto. For used vinyl, I tried out many shops a year ago. My favorite was Waxwell (Gasthuismolensteeg 8), followed by City Records (Geldersekade 100A). If you come to Rotterdam, don't miss vinylspot, and in the Hague don't miss the Jazz Center...

• 2 weeks later...

Concerto is not what it used to be. They moved Jazz from a basement to upstairs together with classical I think. Much less space now that these two are joined. At the far wall are the toilets. The living room style door stands ajar, so you'll be enjoying all sorts of smells when browsing their qualitywise highly diluted shelves. No thank you.

Edited by erwbol