2 Vogue box sets

4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Seasoned listeners and collectors. 

I am the former and not the latter.  These Vogue sets, with their range of music, low prices, and ORIGINAL COVER ART, are perfect for me. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

The great unwashed. 

Those would be hippies, and I am the opposite of a hippy. 

5 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I'd bet that in field of bachelor-pad lounge and exotica you ARE one (of the latter).
At least compared to most of the others around here. ;)

"Collector" carries certain implications that don't apply to me.  I am ruthless when it comes to thinning the accumulation in any and all genres. 

BTW, I have far more jazz, classical, and film score LPs than "space-age bachelor pad" music, for whatever that is worth.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

4 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Well,i was just going by what part of your collection you seem to mention most often here. ;)

Well, I was discussing Vogue box sets here.

I tend to discuss things of interest that may fall through the cracks and consequently get overlooked. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Which is very laudable and has got me, for example, taking note of various of the mid-century modern bachelor pad musics (to explore them a bit more one day maybe). ;)

As for Vogue, discussing things that may otherwise fall through the cracks of the obvious and predictable is always a good idea and I am all with you - and in the case of the first box set this was one of the aspects that got me to buy it as an impulse buy (realizing I have a lot of it already but being disappointed that I already have THAT much in fact, after checking my "black cover" CDs). The second one, however, still has me puzzled. Considering what's on there this is not a case of "falling through the cracks" (except if you assume these cracks to be a mile wide). But like jazzbo said when he mentioned the "target groups" .... :huh:
I for one - on first seeing the"American" theme - would have guessed they had seen fit to reissue a LOT more of "Americans in France" (recording for Vogue in concert or in the studio). There would have been lots of items that did not make it to the first box set ...
Or Americans recorded in the USA for Vogue/Swing (by Henri Renaud, etc.)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

4 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I for one - on first seeing the"American" theme - would have guessed they had seen fit to reissue a LOT more of "Americans in France" (recording for Vogue in concert or in the studio). There would have been lots of items ...

Agree wholeheartedly with this point, though I think a fair amount of material Vogue recorded by American artists has been reissued over the years. Did Verve Gitane's excellent "Jazz in Paris" series reissue any Vogue things? It put out a lot of material on other small French labels.

gregmo

15 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this point, though I think a fair amount of material Vogue recorded by American artists has been reissued over the years. Did Verve Gitane's excellent "Jazz in Paris" series reissue any Vogue things? It put out a lot of material on other small French labels.

I don't think so (thankfully - because as you say a lot of Vogue material has been "around").
I have only about 25 of the CDs from this series (concentrating on French artists and recordings that I did not yet have - to fill gaps ;)) but as far as I can see these reissues mostly came from Barclay (often!), Versailles, Philips, Polydor, Vega, Blue Star, CfD, Fontana. So as you can see most of these labels were far from small (at least by French/European standards).
Incidentally, wonder who's got the rights to the Ducretet-Thomson label - another major player in French 50s jazz - (disregarding that those from the key period are in the public domain now anyway).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

58 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

The second one, however, still has me puzzled. Considering what's on there this is not a case of "falling through the cracks" (except if you assume these cracks to be a mile wide). But like jazzbo said when he mentioned the "target groups" ....

it was admittedly less exciting than the French box, but the price at the time was right, and I was excited about the album cover artwork, which is at least half of the reason why I like any album. 

52 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Did Verve Gitane's excellent "Jazz in Paris" series reissue any Vogue things? It put out a lot of material on other small French labels.

The Vogue Andre Hodeir album was not included in Jazz in Paris

The film score discs were my favorites in that series.