Booker Ervin

Hardbopjazz

Date: probably late May1966
Ted Curson Group

Ted Curson (ldr), Ted Curson (t), Nathan Davis (f), Pony Poindexter (as, v), Booker Ervin (ts), Kenny Drew, Sr. (p), Jimmy Woode (b), Edgar Bateman (d)

a.   Milestones [aka Miles] - 6:20(Miles Davis)
b.   All Blues [lyric version] - 7:12(Miles Davis, Oscar Brown, Jr.)
Both titles unissued.  

Ted Curson (t) on a; Nathan Davis (f) on a; Booker Ervin (ts) on a; Pony Poindexter (v) on b.

https://youtu.be/ikLlXX80I2I and https://youtu.be/disxLZ52iqw
A Ted Curson Quartet with Ervin, Woode, and Bateman recorded for Fontana in the Netherlands on May 13, 1966. Comparing all of the musicians' itinaries makes late May probable, e.g. Drew was back in Copenhagen in June.

http://jazzrealities.blogspot.com/search/label/Booker%20Ervin%20Discography

Edited by mikeweil

31 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

A Ted Curson Quartet with Ervin, Woode, and Bateman recorded for Fontana in the Netherlands on May 13, 1966. Comparing all of the musicians' itinaries makes late May probable, e.g. Drew was back in Copenhagen in June.

http://jazzrealities.blogspot.com/search/label/Booker%20Ervin%20Discography

Curson%2BTed%2BUrge%2BFontana.tif

Outstanding platter ....

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Bacall? Any time. Her voice alone ....

Maybe, but what in the hell was she doing radio advertising for Tuesday Mornings all those years back in the late 90's and early 2000's?

My wife and I were hear her talking about how she just HAD to get to Tuesday Mornings whenever she needed a certain something special to give to a special friend, that she just couldn't find anywhere else (or some ad-copy drivel like that).

She was always so (over)-emotive and earnest in her devotion to Tuesday Mornings, that we used to laugh that she either had tons of stock in the company, or more likely that her 2nd cousin twice removed must have started the place.  Like it really HAD to be because of some weird family-connection that Lauren Bacall -- of all people(?!) -- would be pimpin' the crap stuff Tuesday Mornings sold.

Many laughs over hearing those radio ads, for years.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Never heard of this Tuesday Morning place but when I was much younger, Bacall was all over print and TV for Fortunoff, with stores in midtown (5th and 54th, pretty pricey even back then), Westbury LI and Paramus New Jersey (one of these is not like the others - I'll let you figure it out.)

bacall.JPG

It just always seemed comically incongruous that Lauren Bacall, would be claiming in all these (radio ads) that she just had to shop at Tuesday Morning whenever she needed that perfect something or another.

Mind you, the chain was housewares that were middling, at best.  Similar to Target's mid-century modern furniture and occasional pieces (though, frankly, Target's stuff was/is better than Tuesday Morning, far as I'm remembering).  It wasn't the junkiest store of its type ever, but for someone like Lauren Bacall to go on, and on, and on about it (through the wonders of repetitive radio advertising, at least), always seemed entirely incongruous with what I would perceive to be the "Lauren Bacall" brand of style she might more logically have been able to promote stuff.

Presumably 'actual' high-style Lauren Bacall, just can't get enough of what was clearly very faux (and very cheaply mass-produced) fake 'high-style' stuff, that didn't look like it would last more than about 5 years, tops.

Just a funny memory. 

Tuesday Morning is still around. It's kind of a cutout bin for retail merchandise of all different quality levels. We got a set of Le Creuset there for a damn good price, and have seen other items of equal quality. And sometimes they'll have real crap, often at the same time as the good stuff.

Lauren Bacall did all kinds of gigs. Remember this one? https://decider.com/2014/08/13/lauren-bacall-high-point-coffee/

On 8/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, medjuck said:

Though on one of her film vocal performances she was partially dubbed by Andy Williams.  

"Although this legend about Andy Williams and Lauren Bacall is so deeply entrenched that you'll find it repeated even in some film reference books, it's not true. Director Howard Hawks, when asked about this, explained that he had indeed planned to have Andy Williams sing for Bacall, but after hearing Bacall sing during the rehearsals for the scene he abandoned that plan and ended up using Bacall's own voice." (Source: Hawks on Hawks by Joseph McBride [Berkeley, University of California Press, 1982] p.130.)

1 hour ago, sonnymax said:

"Although this legend about Andy Williams and Lauren Bacall is so deeply entrenched that you'll find it repeated even in some film reference books, it's not true. Director Howard Hawks, when asked about this, explained that he had indeed planned to have Andy Williams sing for Bacall, but after hearing Bacall sing during the rehearsals for the scene he abandoned that plan and ended up using Bacall's own voice." (Source: Hawks on Hawks by Joseph McBride [Berkeley, University of California Press, 1982] p.130.)

I think I read/heard that Andy was only used for part of the song in To Have or Have Not but Bacall does a fine job with Kenton's "And Her Tears Flowed Like Wine" in The Big Sleep so I'm sure Hawks is being truthful.