John Coltrane - Blue World

Pim

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those links don't work. So, what is this?

There exists some unreleased Impulse material from 1962 and 1963, including the session reel from the date with Johnny Hartman. There was an online article about it several years ago. Apparently, the unreleased music was broadcast on a radio station. Might we hear that?

Do I get a prize?

https://www.jazzmagazine.com/jazzlive/blue-world-de-john-coltrane-lautre-lost-album/

One year after the great success in 2018 of "Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album", Impulse will again release from his archives a forgotten treasure of John Coltrane, "Blue World", eight tracks recorded with McCoy Tyner (piano), Jimmy Garrison (double bass) and Elvin Jones (drums) on June 24, 1964 in the studios Rudy Van Gelder for A Cat in the Bag , the film by Quebec director Gilles Groulx who, in addition to the music of the saxophonist, had also used that of Vivaldi, Couperin and Mozart. "Blue World", distributed by Universal, will be in stores on September 27th.

should add that's a chrome translate paragraph though I like the idea of Mr. Impulse releasing new stuff from his archives.

40 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

Count me in for that, but how long are they going to sit on the material from 1962 and 1963? How long until the tapes are iron oxide dust and plastic ribbon? I assume that they are trying to maximize income.

Yup... I think there’s quite a lot more but why bring it out all at once if you can milk that cow for decades... 

But hey, I will definitely get this anyway.

Edited by Pim

Ok, so this was a real movie, and at least some of this music was used in it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057937/reference

Seems like a sporadic/scattered releases in various countries, 1967 for the US:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057937/releaseinfo#akas

So it seems that this is a full recording session dedicated to providing a base of music from which the film's producers/directors could extract what they wanted.

I don't recall reading about Coltrane's music being used in this film in any of the biographies, much less that it was music recorded especially for the film. In that sense, this is a truly "historic" release.

How the music will be, well...we'll see. Going to have to keep in mind the purpose behind the session, and evaluate it in those terms, as well as any other criteria that apply.

But yeah, I'll bite.

I am sure the music credits in the film reference Coltrane's music used "courtesy" Impulse Records but no I would not think its Impulse in terms of any A&R influence whatsoever.  This is the Monk movie music release all over again but the real question is what kind of direction did the producers give to Coltrane in terms of atmosphere or purpose or whatever. I presume these are all originals so that is important to fanatics too.

Go ahead and shoot me but I gave away the last new one and won't bite on this.  His Impulse years even before he went way out are of little interest here except for the usual suspects.

15 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Oh, is this really an "Impulse! session"? Maybe not, eh?

Perhaps not originally but I can see the logo on the cover.

9 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Go ahead and shoot me but I gave away the last new one and won't bite on this.  His Impulse years even before he went way out are of little interest here except for the usual suspects.

Disagree big time but I guess its different for everyone. 

I can't remember seeing these sessions in Coltrane discographies either by the way.

25 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I find it disappointing that they are not titling this release "Cat in the Sack" I assume that they will not use images from the film or poster are the album cover.  This will affect my perception of the music.  

Seriously?

These are presumably full tracks, not the soundtrack from the movie, which probably mostly used snippets.  It should be judged as a Coltrane session not a movie soundtrack.

I don't buy soundtrack albums but I'm surely going to buy this one. Cover depicted online seems okay to me, and I bet the sound will be excellent. Can't wait to hear what Trane did with this material in '64. Did he play it safe, or be all '64 Quartet with it?

I think it will be mono.

blueworld_cover_-rgb_hi-res_sq-33b6d22a4

Edited by jazzbo
add cover

37 minutes ago, Pim said:

Disagree big time but I guess its different for everyone. 

Actually the title "Blue World" makes me think it might hold some appeal ... something closer to Plays the Blues or a moody/romantic kind of compositions could end up appealing.

I bet we are looking at another round of full page ads in major non-music publications like the NYT.