John Coltrane - Blue World

Pim

11 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Track listing here.

https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/*/Blue-World/68970000000

Might depend on your feelings about alternates

Wow, seems he didn't put in much work in the studio did he?

Might be curious about Traneing In with this group but ... not that curious.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

For many years, viewers of the film who recognized the music thought that they were listening to the original recordings, though in fact they were new and had never been heard.

Ok, having never seen the film, the leads me to wonder ift:

• They just used very brief extracts in the film (which the NPR article would appear to posit oteherwise)

and/or

• people really don't pay attention to the details of what they're listening to...if you know a record well enough, you ought to have some kind of sense that, oh, this is different, at least if you get enough of it in one bite.

and/or

• this statement itself is more or less bullshit, because how amny people (for many years, in fact!) even knew about this film and/or Coltrane's music found within?

From the article it appears that "Naima" was at least presented in its entirety in the film:

Coltrane had first recorded "Naima" five years earlier, for the Atlantic album Giant Steps. His quartet had played it often in live settings, but this is a studio version, and a truly excellent one. It plays in its entirety, all four-and-a-half minutes, as Claude and Barbara make their opening statements.

Edited by jazzbo

I was "eh" on BOTH DIRECTIONS... I mean, even 3rd tier 1963 Coltrane is better than a ton of other music, but would rather listen to Live at Birdland or a 1963 boot.

This one is definitely intriguing because of the choice of material and the vintage, but odds of me reacting the same way as I did with BDAO are high

46 minutes ago, JSngry said:

For many years, viewers of the film who recognized the music thought that they were listening to the original recordings, though in fact they were new and had never been heard.

Ok, having never seen the film, the leads me to wonder ift:

• They just used very brief extracts in the film (which the NPR article would appear to posit oteherwise)

and/or

• people really don't pay attention to the details of what they're listening to...if you know a record well enough, you ought to have some kind of sense that, oh, this is different, at least if you get enough of it in one bite.

and/or

• this statement itself is more or less bullshit, because how amny people (for many years, in fact!) even knew about this film and/or Coltrane's music found within?

I saw the Le Chat dans le Sac  when it first came out (I was in university in Montreal at the time).  I recognized Naima but presumed it was the  version from the record .  Not that I really remember after more than 50 years.  I don 't remember all of the score being by Coltrane and the only scene I remember is one where Barbara Ulrich tries to imitate a shot of Anna Karina from (I think) Le Petit Soldat.  

Edited by medjuck

I had a listen to the title track, "Blue World," which bears inspiration from "Out of this World."  It's probably the most intriguing track from the set and does sound quite good.  But at this point you're not going to have any surprise factor from Trane, at least from the stuff recently unearthed.

It turns out that this is taken from a mono tape (7.5 ips, one wonders), as was the case with last year's 2 CD set. It seems odd that Rudy didn't record it on a proper tape in stereo.

Horror of horrors: The vinyl version of the new album (which I won't be getting) was done by McMaster. I thought he had retired.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I don't buy soundtrack albums but I'm surely going to buy this one. Cover depicted online seems okay to me, and I bet the sound will be excellent. Can't wait to hear what Trane did with this material in '64. Did he play it safe, or be all '64 Quartet with it?

I think it will be mono.

blueworld_cover_-rgb_hi-res_sq-33b6d22a4

I'm not crazy about soundtrack albums either, but I'll be getting the SHM-CD. The sample track sounds good. Should be a more interesting release than Both Directions at Once: The Lost Album. 

37 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

It turns out that this is taken from a mono tape (7.5 ips, one wonders), as was the case with last year's 2 CD set. It seems odd that Rudy didn't record it on a proper tape in stereo.

I'd guess it's a reference tape from the personal archives, not a studio master.

4 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

There is a sample track here, using the changes of "Out Of This World":

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/john-coltrane-blue-world-new-album-1964-872242/

Oh, "Both Directions at Once" sold 250,000 copies - advertising does work, after all. There was a lot of better music released last year, I guess it should have been just advertised more aggressively.   

I am quite curious about this upcoming release. "Blue World" track sounds good. Won't buy the CD, but will definitely listen to it on Spotify.        

14 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

more focus away from current improvising masters

otoh, I still watch Green Acres reruns because Eva Gabor looked so fine in them. It's not like I'm wanting to live in Hooterville or anything. It's just a pleasing 25 or so minutes of TV. Plus, hey, Hank Patterson transcends time.

This Coltrane release seems to be coming out on the same day (Sept 27th) as the Tubby Hayes Fontana box set. Universal Music battle of the tenors ?

I like what I hear from that Spotify track. Sort of variations of ‘Out of this World’ done in the slightly free-er style of the later ‘Coltrane Plays..’ album. Very nice.

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I don't buy soundtrack albums but I'm surely going to buy this one. Cover depicted online seems okay to me, and I bet the sound will be excellent. Can't wait to hear what Trane did with this material in '64. Did he play it safe, or be all '64 Quartet with it?

I think it will be mono.

blueworld_cover_-rgb_hi-res_sq-33b6d22a4

Cover photo looks to be from the same session as this one..

R-5262024-1449570544-3472.jpeg.jpg

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

otoh, I still watch Green Acres reruns because Eva Gabor looked so fine in them. It's not like I'm wanting to live in Hooterville or anything. It's just a pleasing 25 or so minutes of TV. Plus, hey, Hank Patterson transcends time.

My current watching project has been going back to view the pre- and post-Twilight Zone 1950's Rod Serling masterpieces from Playhouse 90.  Started with "Patterns" last weekend, next up this weekend is "Requiem for A Heavyweight", then on to "Seven Days in May" and "The Velvet Alley", and we'll see from there.   We have nothing to apologize for when we choose what art we want to partake, regardless of whether it is "current" or not.  What speaks to us is what speaks to us.  "Patterns" has more to do with my life than any of the current TV shows/movies I am aware of.  Serling was, at root, a complex moralist, and I appreciate that in his work.   I doubt there are any John Coltrane's out there right now that I am missing because they are not advertised sufficiently.

53 minutes ago, felser said:

My current watching project has been going back to view the pre- and post-Twilight Zone 1950's Rod Serling masterpieces from Playhouse 90.  Started with "Patterns" last weekend, next up this weekend is "Requiem for A Heavyweight", then on to "Seven Days in May" and "The Velvet Alley", and we'll see from there.   We have nothing to apologize for when we choose what art we want to partake, regardless of whether it is "current" or not.  What speaks to us is what speaks to us.  "Patterns" has more to do with my life than any of the current TV shows/movies I am aware of.  Serling was, at root, a complex moralist, and I appreciate that in his work.   I doubt there are any John Coltrane's out there right now that I am missing because they are not advertised sufficiently.

FYI:

https://rodserling.com/serling-fest-2019-schedule/