John Coltrane - Blue World

Pim

6 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Nonsense.  IKEA is all about style and presentation, and they would have much better taste than to include the mood-busting control room banter.  The square celibate who compiled this album could learn a thing or two from IKEA.  

Well, to me IKEA is mainly about flat packages, the contents of which will require additional craftsmanship to be usable. The finished product can still be very stylish. 🙂 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My remark about it being in mono if you are in an audience was NOT a joke. Anyway, I came across the CD again the other day and it sounded great. It was nice to hear a piece and then say "Hey, that's Traneing In from 1957".

I was excited when I first came across IKEA. We have bought several things from them over the years. Everything was junk that fell apart. Class is something they never had.

10 hours ago, Daniel A said:

Well, to me IKEA is mainly about flat packages, the contents of which will require additional craftsmanship to be usable. The finished product can still be very stylish. 🙂 

Well, you are absolutely correct in that regard.  I am imagining one of their wordless graphic instruction sheets showing the Ziggy-like character trimming the annoying banter using digital software. :lol:

7 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Does your wife or signifiant other also enjoy the studio chatter, when you are having drinks together and listening to jazz? 

My wife doesn't listen to jazz with me, and neither of us drink.

Edited by jazzbo

36 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

My wife dor=esn't lid]sten to jazz with me, and neither of us drink.

Ah, Lon, remember what Sinatra liked to say about people who don't drink: He felt sorry for them, because, when they got up in the morning, that was as good as they were going to feel ALL day!  ;)

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

My wife dor=esn't lid]sten to jazz with me, and neither of us drink.

OK, well that explains it.  My wife and I share our musical tastes in common, and as we all know, the main purpose of music is to complement one's choice of cocktails and decor.

Jazz for us is conversational cocktail music, and as such, we expect it to have style, allure, and a certain sexiness.  Nothing can spoil the mood more quickly than when an uninvited recording engineer barges into the proceedings.  It is kind of like when Henry Mancini ruins an otherwise good album with a ragtime or parade track thrown in.  

Presentation is everything, and if I hear the voice of an engineer on a jazz record, that suggests a lazy-ass producer.  I can only imagine his taste in clothing and furniture.  

May I ask:  Would anyone have been disappointed if the album had not included the control room chatter?  Why not also include audio of the band unpacking their gear, lighting up cigarettes, and flushing the toilet? 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

5 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Ah, Lon, remember what Sinatra liked to say about people who don't drink: He felt sorry for them, because, when they got up in the morning, that was as good as they were going to feel ALL day!  ;)

I personally don't care what Sinatra said, I'm not a fan. I've seen alcohol ruin the lives of friends and coworkers and I come from a family that did not drink, as does my wife My late first wife didn't drink either, as her grandfather, father, and two brothers were all severe alcoholics. I'm not a saint, and I do things to make me feel better, alcohol drinking is not among them.

5 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

OK, well that explains it.  My wife and I share our musical tastes in common, and as we all know, the main purpose of music is to complement one's choice of cocktails and decor.

Jazz for us is conversational cocktail music, and as such, we expect it to have style, allure, and a certain sexiness.  Nothing can spoil the mood more quickly than when an uninvited recording engineer barges into the proceedings.  It is kind of like when Henry Mancini ruins an otherwise good album with a ragtime or parade track thrown in.  

Presentation is everything, and if I hear the voice of an engineer on a jazz record, that suggests a lazy-ass producer.  I can only imagine his taste in clothing and furniture.  

May I ask:  Would anyone have been disappointed if the album had not included the control room chatter?  Why not also include audio of the band unpacking their gear, lighting up cigarettes, and flushing the toilet? 

For me jazz is far more than background of any kind, let alone cocktails and decor, neither of which I am passionate at all about. I share many activities with my wife, but we have different musical tastes and attach different values to music itself. Which is okay, we are very loving and close. And these little snippets of studio chatter are more valuable to me than these other sounds you disingenuously mention. Sorry that they bother you. They don't bother me. We're all different, and you and I have many differences. I'm not a big fan of movies and movie soundtracks, and you are. Mancini albums are not in my collection. Jazz isn't background for me, and it seems to be for you.  Vive la difference.

Edited by jazzbo

48 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I personally don't care what Sinatra said, I'm not a fan. I've seen alcohol ruin the lives of friends and coworkers and I come from a family that did not drink, as does my wife My late first wife didn't drink either, as her grandfather, father, and two brothers were all severe alcoholics. I'm not a saint, and I do things to make me feel better, alcohol drinking is not among them.

For me jazz is far more than background of any kind, let alone cocktails and decor, neither of which I am passionate at all about. I share many activities with my wife, but we have different musical tastes and attach different values to music itself. Which is okay, we are very loving and close. And these little snippets of studio chatter are more valuable to me than these other sounds you disingenuously mention. Sorry that they bother you. They don't bother me. We're all different, and you and I have many differences. I'm not a big fan of movies and movie soundtracks, and you are. Mancini albums are not in my collection. Jazz isn't background for me, and it seems to be for you.  Vive la difference.

May I ask:  Would anyone have been disappointed if the album had not included the control room chatter?  Why not also include audio of the band unpacking their gear, lighting up cigarettes, and flushing the toilet?

Henry Mancini did more than soundtracks, incidentally.  

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I'm aware, I've heard quite a bit. Just not stuff that interests me. 

I would rank the Peter Gunn LP up there with any of the great jazz albums from 1958.  The arrangements are brilliant.  

You have to hear the mono album, though.  The stereo is slathered in reverb.  

15 minutes ago, king ubu said:

...that is because Trane is on the mono edition only - got replaced by clinking glasses on the stereo.

The stereo was actually a mislabeling of an entirely different album, shown below (there is precedent for that).

Image result for clinking glass sound effects album"

Image result for another monty python album"

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I would rank the Peter Gunn LP up there with any of the great jazz albums from 1958.  The arrangements are brilliant.  

You have to hear the mono album, though.  The stereo is slathered in reverb.  

That's cool. I don't rank it very highly. We're different. So be it.

2 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

That's cool. I don't rank it very highly. We're different. So be it.

Maybe you would appreciate it more if it included studio chatter between tracks.  :P

I'll burn you a version with the chatter from Blue World interspersed.  

• 1 year later...

I'm still trying to find fhe Couperin and Vivaldi music used in "Le chat dans le sac?" but I have not been able to identify it.  Shazam won't work, presumably because of the dialog over it, and also because the particular performances may not be in the database.

Would still like to compile a definitive soundtrack album reinstating Couperin and Vivaldi, and also adding Les Double Six's vocal version of "Naima."

Hoping to also find a fan-made alternative album cover using the film's original poster art.  

50 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

…also adding Les Double Six's vocal version of "Naima."

Interesting. Certainly not anything I’d heard before. At work, or I’d did further on my own. When does this date from? — mainly, how much later than the original was it recorded/released?

Did “Naima” (Trane’s original) penetrate the mainstream a little further at the time than I was previously aware? — for it to have gotten a vocal interpretation, and overseas no less.

30 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Interesting. Certainly not anything I’d heard before. At work, or I’d did further on my own. When does this date from? — mainly, how much later than the original was it recorded/released?

Did “Naima” (Trane’s original) penetrate the mainstream a little further at the time than I was previously aware? — for it to have gotten a vocal interpretation, and overseas no less.

Les Double Six specialized in contemporaneous jazz, so their covering something wouldn't necessarily be a barometer of a tune penetrating the mainstream.  "Naima" is from their second album, which Discogs dates from 1962.

There is/was a CD with their first two albums, and it is fantastic.  The first album is all based on Quincy Jones' big band charts.