John Coltrane - Blue World

Pim

On 10/2/2021 at 8:13 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

I'm still trying to find fhe Couperin and Vivaldi music used in "Le chat dans le sac?" but I have not been able to identify it.  Shazam won't work, presumably because of the dialog over it, and also because the particular performances may not be in the database.

I just ordered a Gilles Groulx box set from amazon.fr. Maybe I can identify some of these while viewing, but considering the sheer number of pieces Couperin and Vivaldi composed, this could be difficult.

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, mikeweil said:

I just ordered a Gilles Groulx box set from amazon.fr. Maybe I can identify some of these while viewing, but considerimng the sheer number of pieces Couperin and Vivaldi composed, this could be difficult.

Yeah, understood.  Thank you.  I have not been able to find a version with English subtitles, as I unfortunately don't speak French.

• 1 year later...

So here is my Le chat dans le sac album. Coltrane except where noted.

Side 1:

Naima (Take 2)

3:56

Village Blues (Take 2)

3:38

Vivaldi: Concerto for Flautino (Largo)

3:36

Blue World

6:02

Haydn: London Trio #1 (Vivace)

1:50

Side 2:

Like Sonny

2:36

Couperin:  Passacaille in B minor

6:47

Traneing In

7:33

Vivaldi:  Autumn (Adagio)

3:33

I edited out the count-offs and other extraneous dead air from the Blue World album, resulting in the shorter times you see. 

If my album followed film order, most of the Coltrane would appear in the first half, and most of the classical music would appear in the second half.  However, that doesn't work for a few reasons, not the last of which has to do with timings.  But it also doesn't work aesthetically. I love the delirious musical juxtapositions you get on 60s and 70s soundtracks, and mixing up the jazz and classical music here achieves this.