Down Beat circa 1961- 1995 - what to do

I have my uncle's entire subscription run of DB's from April 1965 thru all of 1985 (20 years worth), when he passed about 7 years ago.

Chuck, I'd be very interested specifically in any DB issues from before April 1965 (I think that's the cut-off, or at least that's what I posted here in 2012 -- I'm in St. Louis right now packing up my Dad to move into a retirement community in a couple weeks).

I've always wanted to expand on my uncle's collection going back to about 1960, but I've never pursued it very far, beyond some random and sporadic eBay searches (leading nowhere).

Chuck, I'd really appreciate you considering my interest. I could do a outright purchase (payment to you), or I'd be equally glad to make a very decent donation to Jim for the upkeep of this board. Or whatever you like.

Here's a thread my post from back in 2012, with the timeframe of what I already have...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Chuck, I'd be very interested specifically in any DB issues from before April 1965 (I think that's the cut-off, or at least that's what I posted here in 2012 -- I'm in St. Louis right now packing up my Dad to move into a retirement community in a couple weeks).

I've always wanted to expand on my uncle's collection going back to about 1960, but I've never pursued it vey far, beyond some random and sporadic eBay searches (needing nowhere).

Chuck, I'd really appreciate you considering my interest. I could do a outright purchase (payment to you), or I'd be equally glad to make a very decent donation to Jim for the upkeep of this board. Or whatever you like.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you will be able to strike a deal with Chuck.
Any collector who backs up his interests (music/listening interest here) with the documents and reference works on the same subject matter will gain a lot in knowledge, insight and enjoyment.
And I'd venture a guess in today's world where everything (including knowledge and documents of times past) is digitized it is a good thing there still are some private "archivists" out there who keep the real thing. Though I understand the space problems ...
In fact, as a private collector-turned-archivist you sometimes and unknowingly even surpass what you think pros in the field ought to have accumulated themselves. About 7 years ago I jumped at the occasion of buying from an online antique book trader what was described as a full run of METRONOME from mid-1952 to mid-1960 and came from the archives of the former editor-in-chief of the German JAZZ PODIUM magazine. Only ... upon receipt it turned out to be two bound volumes of scattered issues that this journalist had accumulated - about 45 copies in all, which of course is a long way from a "full run" (and an odd base for binding the copies) and made this a very expensive deal. (The seller made good - to a point - in giving me additonal items from that collection free of charge, though). Still an interesting purchase, considering the silly prices that sellers ask on eBay, but amazing to see that even long-standing pros should be content with individual issues - no doubt this person would not have had any trouble in obtaining a subscription or even courtesy copies, even at that time.

Anyway ... I'll hope someone else takes the remaining issues too. It would be a shame to throw them away.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Most of my magazines have survived the last two moves, much to the chagrin of my wife. Really though, I’ll grab a random Cadence for a diversion but I almost never reach for the others. If I do get rid of my magazines I’ll still keep the Cadence issues. Prior to a move in 2017 I managed to sell a few magazines, mostly issues of Musician from the 1980’s, based on who was on the cover over at Audiokarma.

• 3 months later...

I'm living in Germany and have collected Down Beat from 1957 to 2013 (missing about 5 to 7 single copies).

Have also some duplicated for trading. Woud like to get in touch with other collectors for the missing copies. Have got some from ebay but the prices + postager are  really a pain in the......

W.B.

Edited by jazzcorner