Wynton Marsalis - Daily Battles (from Motherless Brooklyn)

GA Russell

WaterTower Music

cover-446b5fa3e7df4ec98169881d334466eb-f

Artist Title Time    

Wynton Marsalis Daily Battles 03:24    

New WYNTON MARSALIS and a heavy hitting jazz crew
deliver a powerful performance of “DAILY BATTLES” 
the ThomYorke penned song that conjures images of the 
1950s-era gin-soaked Harlem jazz club seen in the film.
From the upcoming Edward Norton film.

Performed by Wynton Marsalis, Joe Farnsworth,
Russell Hall, Isaiah J. Thompson & Jerry Weldon

“I was sitting on the edge of my bed in the dark, crying from listening to this song” - Edward Norton

Wynton Marsalis 
 -9x Grammy winner
-Pulitzer Prize for Music
-National Medal of Arts
-National Humanities award

7 brand new Wynton Marsalis recordings on the soundtrack 

All star cast with Edward Norton, Bruce Willis, Alec Baldwin, 
Willem Dafoe, Leslie Mann and Michael Kenneth Williams

DAILY BATTLES heavily featured & spotlighted in 
MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN trailer out 8/22

Closing the NY Film festival and chosen to be featured at the Toronto International Film Festival 

Film opens Nov. 1st

Thom Yorke-Flea version of DAILY BATTLES click here

Split 7” vinyl available f/ both versions of the song - Oct. 2019

Edited by GA Russell

7 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The trailer is out.  

I may see this and just try to ignore Wynton.

Well said.

Instincts say "Run away" (a la Monty Python), but this is highly likely to have a showing at my local art house theater, so I may consider if trailer and cinematic reviews are good.

8 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Well said.

Instincts say "Run away" (a la Monty Python), but this is highly likely to have a showing at my local art house theater, so I may consider if trailer and cinematic reviews are good.

It will be interesting to see if Wynton simply recorded 7 tunes with his band and had them dropped into the film by the director, or if he scored the film in a more traditional sense, i.e., writing and recording passages to go with specific scenes. 

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

It will be interesting to see if Wynton simply recorded 7 tunes with his band and had them dropped into the film by the director, or if he scored the film in a more traditional sense, i.e., writing and recording passages to go with specific scenes. 

How would you be able to yell? It would likely sound the same either way. It's not like he's  Terranova Blachard...

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

How would you be able to yell? It would likely sound the same either way. It's not like he's  Terranova Blachard...

Well, for starters, whether it sounds like a quintet blowing through a tune, or if there is lots of space, minimal stuff, repetition.  I've listened to enough film scores to get a sense of approach.  The Italians almost always recorded tunes and had them placed by the director after the fact.  

Right, you know/can tell the difference. But would Wynton? He's been so cock-damn-sure over the years that everything he does is right that I've heard no real growth or appreciation of nuance.

And I do not know why my phone made "Terrence" into "Teranova". That's just bizarre.

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Right, you know/can tell the difference. But would Wynton? He's been so cock-damn-sure over the years that everything he does is right that I've heard no real growth or appreciation of nuance.

And I do not know why my phone made "Terrence" into "Teranova". That's just bizarre.

Good question.  As for "Teranova," I thought it was a deliberate arcane reference! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In case anyone is interested, the score for this film is not by Wynton, but by Daniel Pemberton:

https://www.amazon.com/Motherless-Brooklyn-Original-Motion-Picture/dp/B07Z9N4WBT/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=pemberton+motherless+brooklyn&qid=1576274951&s=dmusic&sr=1-1

Wynton and his cronies play some tunes that are presumably used as source music, but as I have not yet seen the film, I can't confirm.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...