TRACKLISTING

1. Le Manoir De Mes Reves 
  2. Melodie Au Crepuscule 
  3. Anouman 
  4. La Valse Des Niglos
  5. Pour Que Ma Vie Demeure 
  6. Fleche d’Or 

BLURB:

Saxophone master James Carter make his Blue Note debut with James Carter Organ Trio: Live From Newport Jazz—his first new release since 2011. A soulfully robust dispatch from America’s most storied jazz festival, it’s also a follow-up of sorts to his acclaimed 2000 album Chasin’ the Gypsy that The New Yorker called “an alternately reverent and audacious tribute to the Belgian swing-guitar legend Django Reinhardt. It may be the rambunctious saxophone player’s recorded masterpiece.”

UPCs

Standard Digital Album: 00602508009501

MFiT Digital Album: 00602508009525

HRA Digital Album: 00602508009556

CD Softpak: 00602508009594

Proudly presented by Blue Note Records: Don Was, Rachel Jones, Cem Kurosman, Justin Seltzer, Colby Silon and Alex Anastasi.

Artist Title Time    

James Carter Le Manoir De Mes Reves 11:29    
  James Carter Melodie au Crepuscule 10:47    
  James Carter Anouman 10:05    
  James Carter La Valse Des Niglos 07:12    
  James Carter Pour Que Ma Vie Demeure 06:26    
  James Carter Fleche d’Or 08:32    

Scanning it now, and yeah. so nice to hear a modern tenor player with a limber tone and a loose pulse.SO nice/ Limber and loose does not seem to be on the agenda of much of today's jazz, not that it "needs" to be, just that I like it when it shows up and comes in.

so...ordered, s/b here tomorrow.

From today's NYT:

James Carter, ‘Melodie au Crepuscule’
The old joke about James Carter — the play-anything-backward saxophonist extraordinaire who arrived on the New York jazz scene in 1990, seeming fully formed at age 21 — is that it must get boring to be this good. That’s one way to explain why someone might think to make an entire album of tunes by the Gypsy jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt with none other than a soul-jazz organ trio. In Carter’s hands, this unlikely marriage yields plenty of humor, joy and fascination. On “Melodie au Crepuscule,” the organist Gerard Gibbs starts by outlining the groove from Bill Withers’s “Use Me,” before he introduces the Reinhardt song’s driftwood melody. For the rest of the track, the trio-mates sit back heavily in their saddles, jostling and provoking each other and savoring the marriage of backbeat and melody. RUSSONELLO

Hey, you get Lock/Griff, Rahsaan/Eddie Harris/Yusef, and Earl Bostic all in one band for one price. That, and the bonus of hearing Najee being possessed by Steve Lacy and Anthony Braxton for no extra charge.

It's a spectacle to be sure. But whateverpuddles of  Astroglide it leaves behind more than makes up for all the must, dust, and death it chases away.

11 hours ago, bresna said:

Carter is a blast to see/hear live. Yes, he has the chops and yes, he shows them off. That's what I pay for. I would much rather a foot-stomping mad man like Carter than sit for hours listening to a navel-gazing bore.

that's hardly your only choices.

Edited by AllenLowe

Carter is "vulgar" the way that Rahsaan was "vulgar". He "panders" the way that Eddie Harris "pandered". As I implied earlier, he's somewhat of a one-man Atlantic/Joel Dorn saxophone section. Throw in an organist who's more than a little familiar with the Milt Bucker ethos, and you got some randy hootings and tootings.

Which is just to say that there's a long and honorable of the virtuoso pandering vulgarian who still plays their ass off and makes their audience happy to be in the room with them, as well as making those who are not their audience run screaming from the room in horror.

Club comedy, anybody?

On 9/3/2019 at 8:52 PM, kh1958 said:

Yes, it is good. James Carter fits well with Django material.

I have a tape of James Carter playing in Wynton's band back in the 1980s. Talk about an incongruous pair.

Wynton and Lester Bowie were both early champions of Carter, which is testament to how many corners his talent can occupy.

And like Lester, he shows no compunction about engaging with "popular" sources without compromising his vocabulary or esthetic. That kind of thing drives some people crazy!

But if he just played the way he plays and did it either solo or within a free-ish/"energy" context, it would drive some OTHER people crazy. As it is, he plays the way he plays with a seriously in the pocket band, makes a record for Blue Note, and can probably work a lot of gigs playing for people who would have no interest otherwise. He gets a chance to make some OTHER kind of money besides subsidy money.

And that kind of thing REALLY drives some people crazy!

Please stop with the usual crap that we're jealous because he's making money. Good for him, I don't care. The music is horrible. Roland Kirk was nothing like him. 

Every time I dislike a musician here it's inevitable - the charge that it's all professional jealousy.

Well, I am doing just fine, thanks. Check my web site. Lots happening. I help lots of musicians, release lots of material, employ a lot of people, lecture, play, so leave me the hell alone with this crap. I am really no longer in the mood.

17 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

Please stop with the usual crap that we're jealous because he's making money. Good for him, I don't care. The music is horrible. Roland Kirk was nothing like him. 

Every time I dislike a musician here it's inevitable - the charge that it's all professional jealousy.

Well, I am doing just fine, thanks. Check my web site. Lots happening. I help lots of musicians, release lots of material, employ a lot of people, lecture, play, so leave me the hell alone with this crap. I am really no longer in the mood.

O.K.

Nobody was targeting you, dude. Sorry if you took it that way. You're not the only person who can't stand James Carter, far from it.

I'm glad you're doing well, seriously. You work hard for it.

I do like this new James Carter record, like it a lot. Played it in my car all week, could keep it going for longer, but I got other stuff to get too.