Andrew Luck Retirement

What we may be looking at here is a template for the future of the game. While Luck's chosen course of action would not apply to everyone, it very well might for those players who are considered stars and who are paid accordingly. At 29, Luck has made enough money to live multiple lifetimes. So, instead of continuing to ply his trade, knowing with certainty that nothing physically, mentally or financially beneficial can result, he just walks away. I say kudos to him for showing others that there are alternatives. Roger Goodell and his coterie of "head in the sand" apologists need to start looking at the possibility that this could become a trend, not a fluctuation. Luck's decision has potentially huge ramifications for the future of their sport.

1 hour ago, Dave James said:

What we may be looking at here is a template for the future of the game. While Luck's chosen course of action would not apply to everyone, it very well might for those players who are considered stars and who are paid accordingly. At 29, Luck has made enough money to live multiple lifetimes. So, instead of continuing to ply his trade, knowing with certainty that nothing physically, mentally or financially beneficial can result, he just walks away. I say kudos to him for showing others that there are alternatives. Roger Goodell and his coterie of "head in the sand" apologists need to start looking at the possibility that this could become a trend, not a fluctuation. Luck's decision has potentially huge ramifications for the future of their sport.

Huge ramifications for sure, Including how contracts are structured and players are paid. I read the Colts could have asked him to return close to $25 million. If this becomes a regular occurrence going forward (which I doubt), I suspect we will see most if not all teams collecting money back.

I have no problem with what he did.

This is one of several reasons why I've steadily lost interest in following football as an adult.  Obviously it's a game that involves a high degree of sophisticated skill-sets, strategies, and on-the-field, in-the-moment intelligence.  Still, there's no getting around that much of it requires trying to pummel the stuffing out of fellow human beings.  

25 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

This is one of several reasons why I've steadily lost interest in following football as an adult.  Obviously it's a game that involves a high degree of sophisticated skill-sets, strategies, and on-the-field, in-the-moment intelligence.  Still, there's no getting around that much of it requires trying to pummel the stuffing out of fellow human beings.  

It’s a brutal sport. Perhaps that will be its downfall eventually. 

I think so, that, and the risk of CTE. I remember a line from columnist George Will, who loves baseball and dislikes football, that the sport--I'm paraphrasing here--combines the two worst aspects of American life: excruciating violence punctuated by committee meetings. 

gregmo

12 hours ago, gmonahan said:

I think so, that, and the risk of CTE. I remember a line from columnist George Will, who loves baseball and dislikes football, that the sport--I'm paraphrasing here--combines the two worst aspects of American life: excruciating violence punctuated by committee meetings. 

gregmo

Meeting: the bane of corporate life. The only thing produced by meetings is how to waste time.