Mosaic on Spotify

Thanks for that list, Daniel A.  I tried to search the forums and Spotify for Mosaic Records playlists in various configurations, but that obviously returned a lot of unrelated material.  It looks like more sets have been added since Ayers put his list up, but I went ahead and grabbed the Johnny Mercer Select from his list because I'd missed it.  Can't hurt to have multiple Mosaic playlists!

5 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

Do they have the Duke Pearson "Mosaic Select"? That has one rare track that hasn't appeared anyplace else. (Dialogo)

"Dialogo" can also be found here, on this very recent odd/interesting double-LP of much of that same material...

https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/product/i-dont-care-who-knows-it

Also even more info about it here...

http://www.wallenbink.com/

Thanks, Tom. That is a worthy collection.

I'm trying to put together the contents of these two Pearson sessions

Duke Pearson Group

Burt Collins (tp), Al Gibbons (fl), Jerry Dodgion (as), Frank Foster (ts), Bobby Hutcherson (vbs), Duke Pearson (p, el. p), Al Gafa (g), Bob Cranshaw (b), Mickey Roker (d), Airto Moreira (perc., voc), Stella Mars (voc).

A&R Studios, NYC, October 3, 1969

5220-5

Once I Loved (O Amor Em Paz)

(5:20)

5221-5

Xibaba

(6:32)

5222-2

Is That So?

unissued

Duke Pearson Group

Burt Collins (tp), Al Gibbons (fl), Jerry Dodgion (as), Lew Tabackin (ts), Bobby Hutcherson (vbs),  Duke Pearson (el. p), Ralph Towner (g), Wally Richardson (elec. g), Bob Cranshaw (b), Mickey Roker (d), Airto Moreira (perc).

A&R Studios, NYC, November 21, 1969

5565-7

Come On Over, My Love

unissued

5566-9

Dialogo

(3:37)

5567-1

Captain Bacardi

(5:44)

5568-5

I Don't Know

(6:57)

Those two sessions were obviously intended to make up an LP, but the material was forgotten.

I don't like the title of the 2-LP set, and I didn't like it when the CD came out in the 90s. The title track does not typify the material, and is rather lightweight. The CD contains material not available until its release. "Xibaba" and "I Don't Know" are real cookers.

Edited by Shrdlu

2 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I am surprised that Mosaic would allow its material to be heard on Spotify.

As has been stated here occasionally by people in the know, Mosaic does not have (and apparently cannot get) rights to digital distribution of the music in their sets. It is the rightsholders Universal and Sony, respectively, who have made the material available for streaming.