Hilton Ruiz - Ceora

dprfish

I must hereby confess that although intellectually I've always known that the way the name of this tune must surely be actually pronounced is far different -- and here's the confession part -- I have always *mentally* 'heard' the name of this song pronounced as "corea" (which sounds like the country "Korea").  Yeah, I *know* that isn't right (and I've always known it), but -- damn it -- that's the way my brain first filed it in the 'great' (really more like 'sorry-ass') filing cabinet in my head.

I've never once tried to say the name of this tune out loud to anyone (nor have I ever heard anyone ever say it out loud, save for once a few months ago) -- so how it 'sounds' to me is purely my own mental construction.  But that's how it got filed up in my noggin 30 years ago, and it just got stuck that way.

Probably a hundred other examples like that I could give -- mostly classical composer names, a few jazz musician names, some place-names too -- stuff I know isn't right, but that's just how I've "thought" about it in my mind's ear (which is stronger than my mind's eye, when it comes to language things -- although oddly, I often have trouble remembering names until I've SEEN them in print).

And a few words even.  I've never been able to spell holler as anything other than "hollar" without some real conscious effort.  I've always spelled it "hollar" - and even though I know that's wrong, that's just how I spell it, cuz that's how it got stuck in my brain from the git-go.

Random non sequitur de jour.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Very nice performance. Love la musica latina.

The alto saxophone guy is excellent. Giovanni Hidalgo is on congas. He's playing his signature "Palladium" tumbas by Latin Percussion. I have their "Galaxy" tumbas, also a Giovanni signature range, with the same color but no hoops. The Palladium range offers the fairly rare super tumbadora size, but lacks the requinto, at the other end.

That piece is on Lee Morgan's superb "Cornbread" album, which has a dream lineup.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by Shrdlu

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

Why do you say there are two? Who is the other Hilton Ruiz?

On top of this thread  the artist looked like a sax player to me. But he is obviously not the leader

So you seem to be correct. The speaker in that clip looks like the Hilton Ruiz I know so I have to correct my post. Thanks for the INFO

;-}}

Edited by jazzcorner
text edit

Saw him quite a few times - both with George Coleman (smiling Billy Higgins on drums) and various groups of his own. I think the last time was at Royce Hall in LA and it was free !

The RCA Novus releases (‘El Camino’, ‘Strut’) are recommended.

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Saw him quite a few times - both with George Coleman (smiling Billy Higgins on drums) and various groups of his own. I think the last time was at Royce Hall in LA and it was free !

The RCA Novus releases (‘El Camino’, ‘Strut’) are recommended.

I also saw him with George Coleman, Ray Drummond on bass and smiling Billy Higgins on drums ! It must have been early in 1979. 

I couldn´t have recognized Hilton Ruiz from that Video. I remember him as a small tiny guy…..

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I also saw him with George Coleman, Ray Drummond on bass and smiling Billy Higgins on drums ! It must have been early in 1979. 

I couldn´t have recognized Hilton Ruiz from that Video. I remember him as a small tiny guy…..

Pretty sure it was Herbie Lewis on bass when I saw this group. ‘Amsterdam After Dark’ had just been released and they covered many of the tracks. Both Coleman and Higgins were colossal ! 

22 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Underappreciated little SteepleChase gem .... btw Buster Williams (!!) ....

Got that one on vinyl - will dig out.

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Pretty sure it was Herbie Lewis on bass when I saw this group. ‘Amsterdam After Dark’ had just been released and they covered many of the tracks. Both Coleman and Higgins were colossal ! 

Btw there is a nice Ruiz + Lewis + Higgins "live" @ Keystone Corner release on Timeless ....

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Mentioning George Coleman reminds me of a concert we had in our private jazzclub in Koblenz, Germany with the George Coleman Octet on Dec. 02, 1981

George Coleman (ts & Leader) / Sal Nistico (ts) / Danny Moore (tp) / Mario Rivera (bs) / Bobby Watson (as) / Harold Mabern (p) / Clint Houston (b) / Billy Higgisns (dr)

Have to check my fotoarchive for some fotos I shot.

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

It still bugs me that the NO police department classified Ruiz's death as accidental from a fall. I guess in New Orleans, people accidentally fall and bash their heads onto a curb 3 or 4 times before they lapse into a coma all the time.

https://www.knkx.org/post/sad-and-mysterious-death-hilton-ruiz

4 hours ago, sonnymax said:

Would you please provide some more info on this release? I can't find mention of it anywhere. Thanks.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Not heard that one - interesting !

SORRY guys, mixed this up with a Tete Montoliu led trio date .... my senior moments are increasing rapidly 😪 ....

6 hours ago, bresna said:

It still bugs me that the NO police department classified Ruiz's death as accidental from a fall. I guess in New Orleans, people accidentally fall and bash their heads onto a curb 3 or 4 times before they lapse into a coma all the time.

Yeah. Unbelievable! :(

BTW,  ‘Amsterdam After Dark’ is a gem, for SURE! "(New) Arrival" from that album is on Hilton's "Piano Man" album, too.

8 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Mentioning George Coleman reminds me of a concert we had in our private jazzclub in Koblenz, Germany with the George Coleman Octet on Dec. 02, 1981

George Coleman (ts & Leader) / Sal Nistico (ts) / Danny Moore (tp) / Mario Rivera (bs) / Bobby Watson (as) / Harold Mabern (p) / Clint Houston (b) / Billy Higgisns (dr)

I saw that group too - I think it had Frank Strozier on alto though and it might have been Idris Muhammed on drums. Unfortunately, I didn’t take notes ! Ronnie Scott’s, circa 1980.

8 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Was a treat for sure ....

6 hours ago, bresna said:

I'll tell you what does happen in New Orleans all the time - people with indulgences fuck up with the wrong people.