What Are Your Favorite Jazz Recordings of the 21st Century?

HutchFan

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, JSngry said:

There's been too damn many records over the last 20 years to think of them all, even just the good ones!

A good problem to have! ... You're right on a certain level tho'. There's NOTHING comprehensive about these lists.  There's a lot a randomness as to what bubbles up.

... Even so, it's still interesting to see what gets thrown out there.

I'm aleady making a list of recordings that I want to investigate, all from recommendations on this thread.

Invisible Cinema - Aaron Parks (Blue Note)

Dharma Days - Mark Turner (Warner Brothers)

Black Stars - Jason Moran (Blue Note)

Turbulent Flow - Mark Shim (Blue Note)

O'Neal's Porch - William Parker (Centering/AUM Fidelity)

Beyond the Sound Barrier - Wayne Shorter (Verve)

Star of Jupiter - Kurt Rosenwinkel (Wom Music)

Tomeka Reid Quartet (Thirsty Ear)

Tamarindo - Tony Malaby (Clean Feed)

Emily's D+ Evolution - Ezperanza Spalding (Concord)

Centennial Trilogy - Christian Scott (Ropeadope)

J.D. Allen - Grace/J.D. Allen - Graffiti (Savant) (I think Grace is his best album, but Graffiti is the best with his working trio at the time)

Scrapbook - William Parker  (Thirsty Ear)

Edited by sonnyhill

A great century for jazz already. 2 decades of beautiful stuff. Nice idea for a topic btw! 👍 got much to mention. Too much. 

A few of my very favorites are:

Classic beauties and old favorites:

Abdullah Ibrahim - Senzo

Archie Shepp/Mal Waldron- Left Alone Revisited

Mal Waldron - One More Time (mentioned before here, just beautiful)

Woody Shaw - At Onkel Pös

Some great traditional American freejazz:

Billy Bang - Vietnam: Reflections

David S. Ware - Live in The World

Fred Anderson / Kidd Jordan / William Parker / Hamid Drake - 2 Days in April

Kidd Jordan - Palm of Soul

Great stuff from the European scene too:

Angles 9 - Injuries

Atomic - The Bikini Tapes

Hera - Seven Lines

And much more:

Kenny Garrett - Beyond The Wall

Avishai Cohen - Gently Disturbed

Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams

Edited by Pim

Anything or maybe everything released by Wadada Leo Smith this century. The releases on TUM alone stand up as a truly remarkable body of work.

Definitely agree about the Matana Roberts trilogy.

Then there's releases by what I like to think of as the Chicago scene - Josh Berman, Jason Stein, Jason Adasiewicsz, Mike Reed, Jason Roebke, Nicole Mitchell, Tomeka Reid, Jaimie Branch, Makaya McCraven (not the same scene? but same city). Tim Daisy

Rob Mazurek's small group and large ensemble recordings

Irreversible Entanglements and Keir Neuringer's intense solo record

And I haven't even got to nearer home and Europe yet.

Too many!

And Threadgill on Pi, just take your pick of them

Edited by mjazzg

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Anything or maybe everything released by Wadada Leo Smith this century. The releases on TUM alone stand up as a truly remarkable body of work.

Yes. The Wadada Tums are great.  Also the Golden Quartet albums on various labels, Ten Freedom Summers, Americas National Parks

Definitely agree about the Matana Roberts trilogy.

Yes. There is a new Coin Coin release on its way.  I like her release The Chicago Project (Central Control International) the best though.

Then there's releases by what I like to think of as the Chicago scene - Josh Berman, Jason Stein, Jason Adasiewicsz, Mike Reed, Jason Roebke, Nicole Mitchell, Tomeka Reid, Jaimie Branch, Makaya McCraven (not the same scene? but same city). Tim Daisy

Agreed.  So many stellar musicians and great music from Chicago.  Too much to keep up with.  I am just getting around to listening to the Fred Anderson releases on Eremite Blue Winter and Two Days in April.  The Chicago scene has consistently produced a steady stream of fine musicians.

Rob Mazurek's small group and large ensemble recordings

A really nice Mazurek is Starlicker - Double Demon with Jason Adasiewicz and John Herndon.

And Threadgill on Pi, just take your pick of them

The Threadgills are magnificent.  It is hard to pick one.

I would also add Bill McHenry - La Peur Du Vide w/ Andrew Cyrille, Eric Revis, and Orrin Evans

Davis S. Ware's AUM Fidelity recordings are also great.  The Live in the World three-cd set on Thirsty Ear is my favorite DSW Quartet recording.

Roy Hargrove - Earfood (Emarcy)

Edited by sonnyhill

The Threadgills on Pi are all great.  If I had to pick favorites, I’d choose the two volumes of THIS BRINGS US TO as well as the big band recording DIRT AND MORE DIRT.

I also really enjoy the Steve Coleman Pi Recordings - my favorite here is probably SYNOVIAL JOINTS.  Also, can’t the superb INVISIBLE PATHS (Tzadik) and RESISTANCE IS FUTILE (Label Bleu).

Lots more to add :)

51nwsGzdAcL.jpg

(2005)

R-3999682-1351883784-8014.jpeg.jpg

(2007)  These are two of the finest albums in Mr. Murphy's long career.

514lKBWlS4L._SY355_.jpg

(2017 release, recorded in 1980)  A great "live" performance with Mr. Murphy being, well, just as the title suggests.

51t1SQZNupL._SX425_.jpg

(2005)

81JNtX0ZFuL._SX425_.jpg

(2015 release, recorded in 1991) Two excellent "live" albums by the incomparable Ms. Jordan.

517KnB6RolL._SX355_.jpg

(2014)  I have 5 of Ms. Russell's CDs and any one of them could be on this list.  They are all equally fine in their own ways, but they are not "all the same record", if you know what I mean.

Some faves from ECM

Charles Lloyd, LIFT EVERY VOICE and RABO DE NUBE (also: PASSIN’ THRU on Blue Note is great)

Paul Motian, I HAVE THE ROOM ABOVE HER and LOST IN A DREAM

Billy Hart, ONE IS THE OTHER

David Torn, PREZENS and SUN OF GOLDFINGER

Vijay Iyer, FAR FROM OVER

Michael Formanek, THE RUB AND SPARE CHANGE

Tim Berne, SHADOW MAN / YOU’VE BEEN WATCHING ME / INCIDENTALS

Some more stuff I’ve loved:

David Murray & Mal Waldron, SILENCE (Justin Time)

BAD PLUS JOSHUA REDMAN (

Bunky Green, ANOTHER PLACE (Label Bleu)

Ravi Coltrane, SPIRIT FICTION (Blue Note)

Rudresh Mahanthappa & Bunky Green (Pi)

Edited by Guy Berger

cowbop_large.jpg?v=fe58c68a-7137-4eba-8f

This is a nifty little jazz/western swing ensemble lead by guitarist Bruce Forman.  The CDBaby description says it best:  " Imagine Bob Wills, Bird and Diz, Django, Wes, Spike Jones, Patsy Cline and Peggy Lee locked in a closet for the weekend!"

R-7282387-1506545409-4598.jpeg.jpgR-2095232-1357046626-5072.jpeg.jpg

I guess the common view is that Dave Brubeck was a piano pounder more than a piano player.  I just loved his piano style and wish he had done more solo piano recordings throughout his career.  I went to several DBQ concerts during the last 15 years or so of his life and there was only one time when he played a solo number.  It was in Santa Cruz, CA and after Mr. Brubeck reminisced a bit about his boyhood days when he would accompany his father to show cattle at the Santa Cruz fairgrounds not far away, he announced he was going to play a number that was unrehearsed by the band, but he wanted the guys to join in when they felt like it.  He then started playing "Memories of You".  Bassist Michael Moore played along for a few bars, but then he joined Bobby Militello and Randy Jones in just listening to and savoring this poignant performance along with the rest of us.  It was a lump in the throat moment for me.

61N8QMPPsnL.jpg