Chicago Jazz Fest 2019

Larry Kart

Friday night's concert concluded with a Roscoe Mitchell piece (perhaps better, series of pieces) for large ensemble (strings, soprano and baritone vocal soloists, brass, African percussion, three bassists, flautist Nicole Mitchell, etc.) that was quite mind-boggling. In part it was the most overtly classical piece I've heard from Mitchell, and his mastery of writing for strings and voice was exceptional, as were the performers; OTOH the African percussion corps was unleashed at other times with full force. Trumpet work by Hugh Ragin and Fred Berry was exceptional. Would like to know what the text was that the vocalists were singing; they certainly seemed committed. 

Before this, of the main stage artists, trumpeter Ambrose Akinmusire again struck me as a cipher (if Akinmusire had stuck around to hear what Hugh Ragin and Fred Berry played, he would have been embarrassed), while I thought young vibist Joel Ross was callow and fidgety (lots of notes, virtually no shapes). What the heck, I wondered, was Ross doing on the main stage when Chicago is home to vibes master Jason Adasiewicz; is it merely because Ross records for Blue Note? Earlier in the evening George Freeman and Billy Branch were a nice warm pairing.

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'd read somewhere, don't remember where, that Adasiewicz was taking a break to focus on his young family. May not be true but would explain why his high profile has dipped so much over the last couple of years. Definitely missed here

Didn't know that.

P.S. I hope that Mitchell piece or series of pieces was recorded and will be issued. It was something else. When a musician like that who has done so much hits you with something quite new! I really want to hear it again to experience and think about the writing for the two vocal soloists. Undeniably "modern" but unlike much modern writing for voice, it sounded as organic and graceful as  (believe it nor not) Samuel Barber at his best. And again, you could tell from the facial expressions and body language of the two vocal soloists that they loved what they were singing.

Sorry -- no report for Saturday. The group I wanted to hear most was the Chicago Trad band Fat Babies because the remarkable Texas-based former Chicagoan Jon Doyle was scheduled to join them for this performance, but Doyle didn't make it for some reason, and the set lacked his solo voice on tenor saxophone and clarinet (the Fat Babies tenorman was rather lame). Later in the day I developed a nasty headache and headed for home before the evening performances. Will try again tomorrow.

Partial report for Sunday -- darn headache came back again and I had to leave earlier than I'd planned. In the afternoon was torn between two sets on different stages that took place at the same time; tried to heard some of both. Julie Wood's Big Bari Band, with her and Rajiv Halim: both baris sounded fine, but the sound setup couldn't quite handle that much low-register, high-volume playing. Third tune of the set, Horace Silver's "Peace," was the gem. Then trotted over to hear trumpeter Russ Johnson with altoist Greg Ward, drummer Dana Hall and a very over-miked bassist. I love Greg's playing -- agile as hell; he makes so much sense and conveys much warm emotion; Russ is masterly and unique, and Hall's extended solo on one piece was a trip. This band needs to record.

Mainstage: Dave Rempis with Jim Baker, Ingebrit Haker Flaten, and Avreeyal Ra. There a level below which Rempis never falls, but on this night he seemed not to be at his best. Can't put my finger on why (headache may have been kicking in). I'm used to wall-rattling intensity from Dave, but it was as though the walls were too far away this time. Camilla Meza -- lightweight Latin pop-jazz from this clear-voiced 34-year-old Chilean vocalist who also plays nice guitar solos. Too lightweight for some, no doubt, but I was pleased. Her properly/clearly miked (after several days of boom-boom-boom) bassist Noam Wiesenberg was a plus. At this point the headache won out.

Thanks for this Larry

I always appreciate your commentary on live musical events

too bad Rempis (or you?) were not 100%. I’m also a big follower of his roof shaking saxophone playing. I was able to see him this past summer in NYC with a trio with Brandon Lopez & Ryan Packard and he was in strong voice.

Edited by Steve Reynolds