Clora Bryant, R.I.P.

jazztrain

Wow, I randomly pulled, listened to, and very much enjoyed, Gal With A Horn just a week or two ago. Sad to hear that the vocals were forced on her...who knows what else was over her lifetime?

RIP, and here's to all the stories that at best get told partially, when told at all.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Wow, I randomly pulled, listened to, and very much enjoyed, Gal With A Horn just a week or two ago. Sad to hear that the vocals were forced on her...who knows what else was over her lifetime?

RIP, and here's to all the stories that at best get told partially, when told at all.

I had first heard of her when I got myself a copy of the "Gal With a Horn" album a good 15 years ago in my quest to get the entire MODE LP series complete (minus 1 or 2 MOR-ish vocals album that I skipped). DB gave it 3 stars at the time but for all her talent on trumpet that would enable her "to hold her own" in many settings found her voice had "considerable intonation difficulties". It wasn't until several years later that I became aware of her later documentary acitivites when I bought the Central Avenue Sounds book.

RIP

Damn.  RIP.  A MAJOR inspiration for women on the jazz scene today.  I think she and Viola Smith are two of the most important women to emerge in jazz at that time, of course Shirley Scott too, all in that span of a few decades.  I mentioned Clora in my women in jazz piece for New York Jazz Workshop.