Poll: Jimmy Smith - Blue Note or Verve?

Teasing the Korean

Poll: Jimmy Smith - Blue Note or Verve?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, felser said:

I file my 30's-70's Blue Notes separately from my main jazz shelves.  Do the same with Strata-East and Black Jazz.  Cases where I mostly identify with the label more strongly than with the artists.

I don't think I've ever filed by label.  I have Blue Note albums in the Jazz, Now Sound, Latin, Brazilian, Space-Age Bachelor, and Exotica sections, depending. 

Most of the Verve albums in the Now Sound, Brazilian, or Latin sections.  A few I file with Jazz.  

I have assembled all my Blue Notes in one area, as well as my Impulse! titles. I'm planning on doing the same with Mainstream, CTI and Savoy.  I don't file anything by "genre." In years past I filed all by artist, alphabetically, but this century it's mostly chaos.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I have assembled all my Blue Notes in one area, as well as my Impulse! titles. I'm planning on doing the same with Mainstream, CTI and Savoy.  I don't file anything by "genre." In years past I filed all by artist, alphabetically, but this century it's mostly chaos.

I have two genre sections, one for jazz and one for everything else (I don't do classical).  CTI is a really good idea for segregating, and Mainstream would make sense for me.  Savoy sort of mixes in with Prestige, Riverside, etc. for me.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Well, as it pertains to Jimmy Smith, you weren't too smart if you avoided The Boss, Portuguese Soul, Root Down, and Bluesmith.

Of course I bought them:  They were 50 cents or a buck a throw, like everything else I bought in the 1990s.  Can't remember the last time I spun them, but I bought them!

11 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Of course I bought them:  They were 50 cents or a buck a throw, like everything else I bought in the 1990s.  Can't remember the last time I spun them, but I bought them!

I have Root Down, and appreciate it.  Not aware of the others.  Man, he recorded a LOT of albums in the 50's and 60's!

Those are all really good records The Boss, Portuguese Soul, Root Down, and Bluesmith. . Some of the others, not so much.

As for your poll, I don't know, depends on what I want to hear. If it's just blowing, Blue Note. If it's a more programmed presentation, Verve.

But truthfully, I can't take too much of either for too long of a time these days. In both cases, the records are (usually) essentially over before they begin, if you know what I mean.

Nevertheless, there's post-Verve, including the gemette It's Necessary, where Teddy Edwards plays some blues. It was on Mercury, but, you know, coorporatto regatto, by the time anybody was ready to pay attention, they called it Verve.

Teddy's also on Bluesmith, and he plays some blues there too.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Well, as it pertains to Jimmy Smith, you weren't too smart if you avoided The Boss, Portuguese Soul, Root Down, and Bluesmith.

You weren't alone, either, but still, you weren't smart it you did that!!!

Guess I’m a quarter smart then!