Poll: Jimmy Smith - Blue Note or Verve?

Teasing the Korean

Poll: Jimmy Smith - Blue Note or Verve?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One more reason to go with Verve is that I don't think any of the Blue Note albums included a photo of Alain Delon. 

7 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

There are at least three different sorts of BN, and a few that aren't much like any of the others.  

How would you generally categorize these?  My first Jimmy Smith LPs were Blue Notes that I rescued from the cutout bin on my busboy's salary when I was in high school.  My recollection is that at least two of these albums consisted of Smith blowing over single tune at a breakneck tempo for an entire LP side.  These must have been earlier LPs, as they were electronically rechanneled stereo.  I should revisit these to see if my memory is correct.  I should also see how many JS LPs I have on Blue Note and Verve.  EDIT:  It looks like I have 8 Blue Notes and 16 Verves.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

6 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

One more reason to go with Verve is that I don't think any of the Blue Note albums included a photo of Alain Delon. 

How would you generally categorize these?  My first Jimmy Smith LPs were Blue Notes that I rescued from the cutout bin on my busboy's salary when I was in high school.  My recollection is that at least two of these albums consisted of Smith blowing over single tune at a breakneck tempo for an entire LP side.  These must have been earlier LPs, as they were electronically rechanneled stereo.  I should revisit these to see if my memory is correct.  I should also see how many JS LPs I have on Blue Note and Verve.  EDIT:  It looks like I have 8 Blue Notes and 16 Verves.

JOS basically did  three types of Blue Note records: early trios with a lot of interesting ballad and standard choices, these include the all star trios.  The blowing session dates, between '57-60, mellow records, and the quartets

Edited by CJ Shearn

11 hours ago, CJ Shearn said:

JOS basically did  three types of Blue Note records: early trios with a lot of interesting ballad and standard choices, these include the all star trios.  The blowing session dates, between '57-60, mellow records, and the quartets

I think I like most the 1956 trio sides like "The Incredible Jimmy Smith" Vol. 1 + 2, the exiting date at Wilmington Delaware, and from the blowing sessions especially those with Donald Byrd, Lou Donaldson and Hank Mobley and Blakey, Maybe the only time I heard Mobley with organ. And of Course "The Sermon". But I don´t like the later BN Albums as much as those early ones. 

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I think I like most the 1956 trio sides like "The Incredible Jimmy Smith" Vol. 1 + 2, the exiting date at Wilmington Delaware, and from the blowing sessions especially those with Donald Byrd, Lou Donaldson and Hank Mobley and Blakey, Maybe the only time I heard Mobley with organ. And of Course "The Sermon". But I don´t like the later BN Albums as much as those early ones. 

Interesting.  What was it about the later Blue Note albums? the blues numbers, unusual tune choices like "I'm Movin' On" or "Matilda, Matilda"?

Edited by CJ Shearn