23 posts in this topic

Updated listings of last 6 Mosaic Large Box CD Sets

and price drops....

Feel free to ask any questions

Shipping to US only
Add $5 for MediaMail shipping for first box $2 each additional box
Payment is via PayPal.
If interested, please respond in thread and PM

Only six left, that's 6 including  several still sealed. Order any three or more and shipping is on me

The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of The Chico Hamilton Quintet (discs sealed) $116

The Complete Capitol Studio Recordings of Stan Kenton 1943-47 (outer box has split at all corners and has significant taping) $39

The Complete Peggy Lee & June Christy Capitol Transcription Sessions (discs sealed) $100

The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of Gerald Wilson and His Orchestra (discs sealed) $130

Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions (box spine split and heavily taped). $54

The Complete H.R.S. Sessions (discs still sealed) $105

The Peggy Lee and June Christy stuff is wonderful. as is the H.R.S material.

Thanks for looking

All these boxes are wonderful!

I almost bought the Stan Kenton for my bro-in-law, but found out that it was a different Kenton Mosaic that he is interested in.

As I've written elsewhere, I sometimes feel like Stan Kenton, beyond his own accomplishments, is like this mysterious glue in the mid-century space-time continuum, like dark matter, forming a fabric that connects Stravinsky, Duke Ellington, Sun Ra, and Les Baxter - seldom, if ever, reaching the heights of any of those four, but somehow linking them all.   Maybe he is responsible for all four of them in the fourth dimension, but we can't grasp that because we experience time sequentially. 

41 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I almost bought the Stan Kenton for my bro-in-law, but found out that it was a different Kenton Mosaic that he is interested in.

As I've written elsewhere, I sometimes feel like Stan Kenton, beyond his own accomplishments, is like this mysterious glue in the mid-century space-time continuum, like dark matter, forming a fabric that connects Stravinsky, Duke Ellington, Sun Ra, and Les Baxter - seldom, if ever, reaching the heights of any of those four, but somehow linking them all.   Maybe he is responsible for all four of them in the fourth dimension, but we can't grasp that because we experience time sequentially. 

Definitely a unique and interesting dude, musically.   

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

A few years ago, I finally decided to confront my Kenton Demons and Other Mixed Feelings once and for all. Pretty much took the Total Immersion approach, went back to the very beginning, went all the way to the end, and tried to get every damn thing in between in some form or fashion, the gems as well as the total crap.

I am now quite comfortable in saying that there are many very good (occasionally great) Stan Kenton records, and more than a few really great Stan Kenton bands. But Kenton himself is not musically important. He is important as a bandleader, even more as a salesman/marketer, but in my mind, he lacks a certain level of credibility as a true artist, simply because although he definitely created a "concept" and definitely a world around it, he himself was essentially limited when it came to making the key part of it - the music. He wasn't that much different from Boyd Raeburn in that regard, they both knew what they wanted, but the needed other people to make it for them. Kenton made better - and more - choices than Raeburn, although in choosing Johnny Richards, they both showed a willingness to look the other way in the name of "modern".

The Kenton Mosaic for sale here is a big lot of music, and it's historically important, because listening to it as much as all at once as possible, you can really here the formulas emerge, and the whole thing gets transparent in a pretty big hurry. That doesn't mean there aren't germs, there are, but if they all start to saound the same, it's because they ARE the same.

Ultimately, "Stan Kenton" is the name of a company, and like a lot of companies, they have offered great products, and other products as well. Whatever "glue" you find will be that from the residue of salesmanship meeting willing customers, both of them trading on the brand name for their own justification. It's music in the service of product, not the other way around. And I have no reason to believe that Kenton wanted it any other way. As long as he had a band he could get in front of and use his buzzwords, hey, perfect world for him.

But you know, fuck Stan Kenton himself, and enjoy the times when the "Stan Kenton" product came out off the line and out of the factory good/better/great, because it quite often did. Just don't ever think that the guy doing the selling actually built or engineered the cars. THAT would have been cats like Dee Barton:

Yes, as we said in that other thread, Kenton was ultimately a brand.  If his arrangers were Saarinen, Mies Van Der Rohe, or Charles and Ray Eames, Kenton was Knoll or Herman Miller.  

Back to the topic of the thread, someone should snatch that Kenton box for 39 clams.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

As long as the boxes and booklets are mint, I'll take both the CHICO HAMILTON and PEGGY LEE/JUNE CHRISTY sets!

I will take the Gerald Wilson.

That Gerald Wilson is one my most played, from about 40 Mosaic sets I own. I should be selling some of these myself.

I've quite enjoyed the Gerald Wilson set a lot too. You can perhaps quibble with the last couple albums (i.e. Disc #5), with their pop tune covers of the day.

But the playing is really top drawer throughout, imho, and arranging too (of course).

Gerald Wilson is sold.  Thanks, Chuck.

I have sent PMs to thirdtry and vajerzy

Edited by Michael

On September 4, 2019 at 9:17 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

I've quite enjoyed the Gerald Wilson set a lot too. You can perhaps quibble with the last couple albums (i.e. Disc #5), with their pop tune covers of the day.

Those are among my favorites, of course.  :lol:

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Those are among my favorites, of course.  :lol:

I don't mind them at all, but I was merely suggesting that a few folks could quibble (because I've heard said quibblings before).

52 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I don't mind them at all, but I was merely suggesting that a few folks could quibble (because I've heard said quibblings before).

I hear you.  They are very much of their time, which is part of reason I love them.

My favorite Gerald Wilson track is "Ravi" from Portraits, which I used to include in my Eastern-tinged DJ sets. 

Hey Michael,

Got both the Peggy Lee/June Christy and Chico Hamilton sets and they arrived in wonderful condition.  Thanks for the careful packing and speedy shipping!

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear.  

Only two sets left.

As Tom Waits would say "Step right up".....

Which are the two that are left?

Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions (box spine split and heavily taped). $54

The Complete H.R.S. Sessions (discs still sealed) $105

Edited by Michael

I think you mean 105 for the HRS. Great set! I have had it since its release.