Duke Pearson - when did he leave Blue Note?

bertrand

Bertrand, may we have the details of the rare audio?

There are three late 60s Blue Note tracks I would love to have. One, "Dialogo" (10/21/69), only came out in the "Mosaic Select" set, which seems to have disappeared off the map. The other two, "Is That So?" ( 10/3/69) and " Come On Over, My Love" (10/21/69), have never been issued. Duke obviously intended to put the output from these two sessions onto an album, but I guess it got forgotten. (A later session by Duke was issued.) Please join me in lobbying for a release of that album. The Blue Note site, however, has no contact details for Don Was.

What else would be on that album, other than the three tracks? Is there really enough for an album?

I played portions of a 1970 interview with Duke, a track from the Newport Jazztet date, and a rejected track from Solid which popped up on YouTube.

Edited by bertrand

Yes. I am talking about sessions that were released. Instead of having Frank or Duke as sole producers, they are given joint credit. Never noticed that before.

Thinking of Home does not know which to credit.

Another thing I noticed: Duke produced his first big band record, 12/15/67. Alfred retired in July/August 1967. I assume he was the only producer up until then, unless someone has a counterexample. So that first big band record may be the first session Duke ever produced, unless someone has a counterexample.

I am wondering where info about producer credit is actually stored. The session logs?

I am working on a website that will house all my ongoing research on Duke. One section will give a chronological listing of all sessions he produced. Hopefully, we will eventuelly establish which was first and last. 12/15/67 is one of the first. The 1975 Turrentine compilation may be one of the last, but he did not produce the original sessions. The 1974 Moceir Santos is one of the last he produced.

Bertrand.

• 2 months later...

The website is not a reality yet, but just to get things rolling I started a Duke Pearson Research group on Facebook. Would love to see some board members. My friend, the great guitarist Steve Herberman has dug up a lot of great newspaper articles. Steve also moderates an AMAZING Wes Montgomery Facebook Research group.

Edited by bertrand