Artificial CD scarcity

David Ayers

I mentioned in another thread the artificial scarcity of new vinyl. I wonder if anybody has noticed that fairly recent CDs can go OOP quite quickly. I went to look for a budget reissue today which only came out internationally in December 2018, and it is already OOP. There is a new copy on amazon at double the original price but I'm not biting. So that is less than nine months in print, and I have confirmed that it is OOP, not reprinting. I've seemed to see this on a couple of things in recent times. Of course, if it is on spotify then I can hear it, so all is not lost. Am I the only one to come across this?

Edited by David Ayers

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

But is it really "artificial"? Maybe they print less copies because they don't expect to sell that many? 

I'd think this would be the case. Maybe labels are keeping production low because more people than before stream their music.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:41 AM, mikeweil said:

It can be intentional. There was a CD reissue in February 2019 of two of George Shearing's Capitol albums (Latin Esacapade & Mood Latino) on Essential Jazz Classics limited to only 500 copies!

Andorran label, I believe, which has implications.

2 hours ago, GA Russell said:

What I've noticed (regarding CDs) is that I'm not seeing new OAC and OAS releases.

I also noticed that over past couple of years.  Like those sets for checking out artists I skipped over back in the day.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

And Mosaic is limiting their upcoming releases to 2,000 - 3,000.  Just a reflection of the market.

I also noticed that with BGO new reissues - you'd better advance-order them.

BGO down to quarterly release schedule.  Had been monthly.  And recent releases lean heavily to C&W market.  A loss for us, they did nice work for many years.   Strangely, Cherry Red is going full blazes with nice stuff.

The RIAA said Sept. 6 in its mid-year report that CD sales are declining at three times the rate LP sales are growing, and that vinyl may outsell CDs this year for the first time since 1986.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1800929
https://www.cnet.com/news/vinyl-records-will-soon-outsell-cds-for-the-first-time-since-1986/

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

The RIAA said Sept. 6 in its mid-year report that CD sales are declining at three times the rate LP sales are growing, and that vinyl may outsell CDs this year for the first time since 1986.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1800929
https://www.cnet.com/news/vinyl-records-will-soon-outsell-cds-for-the-first-time-since-1986/

That’s unreal. I was at my local record shop last week (a small place in my town) and the owner told me he sells more vinyl than CDs. 

Someone told me he heard an industry expert talking about the state of classical music, and there the view was that all was fine: concert sales, hard copy sales, download and streaming - all doing well. Not quite the perspective we are taking about here. Of course, classical music is a bit more of an industry than jazz so perspectives are different. In any case, it is the viability of making music which is at stake behind the question of hard copy sales, which we maybe over-emphasise a bit on this board (me included!).